Plymouth Rock thread!

Jeff, Tom Roebuck in Virginia would be the guy you want to talk to about Buff Rocks. They are very rare especially quality ones. Tom has been working on them for a year or two and I seen his birds at Crossroads and I was impressed. I'm sure he will tell you that they need more work but I don't know of a better source for quality birds than him.

Jeff, Tom Roebuck in Virginia would be the guy you want to talk to about Buff Rocks. They are very rare especially quality ones. Tom has been working on them for a year or two and I seen his birds at Crossroads and I was impressed. I'm sure he will tell you that they need more work but I don't know of a better source for quality birds than him.

Thanks Matt I found the Golden Feather (Tom Roebuck"s) website last evening I didn't get much head-way on it as I'm not smart enough to navigate well on such things. I saw he had good quality Cochins so I'm sure he is a great breeder I will PM you to see if you have more info on how to contact him better in my case. I appreciate the response, too.

Holler at me when its time to wheel&deal on the BR pullets I'm good and ready as I'll ever be now. LOL

Jeff

Hatchery vs Heritage is the issue? I guess "Heritage" means coming from a smaller, specialty poultry hatchery? I haven't wanted to spend too much on chicks because my biggest problem with losses is Mareks. I'm hoping if I can raise my own barred rocks for a couple generations I will have selected out some more resistant birds. For instance, This winter has been mild and I have lost a couple birds each month. But there were differences between breeeds. My (hatchery) Welsummers were hit so badly that I'm wondering if I should even try with new hatchery stock in that breed. On the other hand, my favarolles (raised from last years survivors) have done fine. Maybe the key is raising your own, rather that hatchery source? Or do you think the specialty places also select for resistance?
(How's that for a complicated question?)

Yea. Get vaccinated hatchery chicks or hatch your own, vaccinate, and quarantine them for 2-10 weeks (I do 10). Otherwise most of the chicks you get will die if it's Marek's.

If your chickens lay the eggs , the chicks will have resistance, never had a problem hatching my own. But all your chickens will be carriers.

Last edited:
Heres a couple of adolescent blues and blacks Im growing out. The blue boy at the bottom is the only boy Im growing out right now. Ive got a bunch of blue and black girls that hatched several months ago that Im growing out. Dont have a single splash.

Heres a couple of adolescent blues and blacks Im growing out. The blue boy at the bottom is the only boy Im growing out right now. Ive got a bunch of blue and black girls that hatched several months ago that Im growing out. Dont have a single splash.

I have a splash, thanks to you!! Just need to prove he's a man bird!
yesss.gif

They are gorgeous! I love how yellow their legs already are
thumbsup.gif

Bob, if you are asking about the Silver Pencil pics I posted, yes I did weigh them, but with a kitchen scale. As I remember, the largest pullet was 6 1/2 pounds, and the cockerel was around 9+. I think they are lighter than that though. I don't own them anymore, but the new owner might chime in with correct weights. .........stan

Tiger Creek what is the source of these Silver Pencilled? Thats pretty good weights. Look forward to the source of the little barred rock bantams. bob

Back
Top Bottom