Plymouth Rock thread!

Ben, they sure look great! That male of yours will take forever to fill out and it will drive you nuts!

By the way, true to the actual heritage breed these are, my Dottie is broody and on eggs. She's currently on Day 11 with her clutch. So, the Stukel lines obviously haven't had broodiness bred out of them like all the hatchery Rocks I've owned in the past. This is my first EVER broody Barred Rock hen.
Kinda looking forward to that actually. Got a box of chicks from KathyinMO and I was wondering about their broody tendencies. Forgot to ask her. I am very excited for you, Cynthia.

Quote:
Beware! They are a very broody lot! I had so many broody hens last year, I was going crazy with them! NOW, I have a "Broody-Buster!"
big_smile.png

Last edited:
WOW the difference between hatchery BPRs and these are amazing!!!! They are almost hypnotizing!!

Okay anyone know where to find Buff Plymouth Rocks?

Sorry, Rachael, I don't know anyone with Buff Rocks

I've had quite a few broodies, but never a Barred Rock. I hope Dottie's as good a mother as she is a sitter (or is it setter? I'm never sure, LOL). She's on Day 12 today and doing a great job getting off to eat and drink on her own, but goes back to her eggs. That is part of the definition of heritage breed, that they will reproduce on their own, so she's done her breed proud so far.

WOW the difference between hatchery BPRs and these are amazing!!!! They are almost hypnotizing!!

Okay anyone know where to find Buff Plymouth Rocks?

Search for the Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club of America website. Their secretary should be able to help you locate some.

Vice Preident

John Beauchamp
6102 Finchville Rd.
Federalsburg, MD 21632
[email protected]

Secreatary-Treasurer & Points Chariman

Richard Hickman
2724 Cedarville Road
Millville, NJ 08332
1-856-265-7278
[email protected]

Newsletter Editor

Brian Lewis
9328 Peerless Road
Bishopville, MD 21813
1-410-352-3154
[email protected]

Election Commisioner

Tim Gladhill
3045 Hoopers Delight Road
New Windsor, MD 21776

District I Director

Dean Clark
2224 County Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
1-603-787-7070

District 2 Director

Tom Roebuck
26341 Old Mill Road
Unionville, VA 22567
1-540-854-0881
[email protected]

District 3 Director

James Blum
2770 Monica Lane
Cantonment FLA. 32533
850-232-0729
[email protected]

District 4 Director

Kraig Shafer
1995 Hillville Road
Elida, OH 45807
1-419-235-2716
[email protected]

District 5 Director

Henry Kestner
919 Hickory Log Drive
P.O.Box 475, Dexter MO. 63841
1-573-820-6168
[email protected]

District 6 Director

Adam Ray
6920 Lee Ave.
North Brooklyn Center, MIN. 55429
1-715-641-1047
[email protected] 55429

District 7 Director
Jim Volk
1151 Middle Fork Road
Onalaska WA. 98570
1-360-978-6414

District 8 Director

Frank Goodfellow
Box 24 Parham, Ontario
KOH-2KO
1-613-375-6234

Here on BYC, if someone calls their EE an Araucana, they normally get corrected by the purists pretty quickly, LOL. The true, heritage Rhode Island Red folks, like Robert Blosi, Chris09, NYReds, etc, are also pretty quick to point out that 99% of the stuff presented as RIR are a far cry from type, and are called hatchery RIR or production reds.

The truth is that the heritage Barred Rocks were preserved for over a century by a handful of faithful people. The lines have not been polluted and now, after 100 years, the hatchery BR and the heritage BR really are two different birds. The difference in coloration, barring, growth, development, feathering, body proportions, and the like is astounding. I'm utterly and completely amazed at how slow my new BR are developing. Their behaviors are even quite different, as in foraging and broodiness. The hatchery BR has surely been crossed and faster maturing and increased egg laying is the result. 100 years has done some amazing things to most of the old, American Standard Breeds.

Please, please bear in mind that I am a keeper of hatchery, yea verily, commercial hatchery birds and love them. But, my goodness. what a difference. One represents the breeding of the 21st century while the other is like being transported back in time to Little House on the Prairie, circa 1880.

Back
Top Bottom