Plymouth Rocks???

TheReadyBoys

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
P.E.I, Canada
There are some Plymouth Rocks for sale in my area. I am looking to expand my flock, but I want to get the best from them. They will be free ranged a few days of the week, and they will be around ducks as well. Are they aggressive? Do they lay good eggs? Basically, is there anything I should know about the breed?

Quality bred Barred Rocks, White Rocks, etc are extremely hardy and wonderful birds. We've some great threads on top quality Plymouth Rocks. I'm a dyed in the wool Rock guy. A great dual purpose breed.

Hatchery quality Rocks are easy to obtain. This just depends on what your desires are for the birds.

Last edited:
I have hatchery Rocks (barred) and think they're great. They're good layers, nice large-ish brown eggs, they don't freak out at things, I remember them foraging well when I free-ranged.

There are some Plymouth Rocks for sale in my area. I am looking to expand my flock, but I want to get the best from them. They will be free ranged a few days of the week, and they will be around ducks as well. Are they aggressive? Do they lay good eggs? Basically, is there anything I should know about the breed?

What type of Plymouth Rock are you thinking of buying? The Barred Plymouth Rock is the most common and seems to be the best at laying eggs. There are other types of Plymouth Rocks, such as the White Plymouth Rock and the Partridge Plymouth Rock.

The Plymouth Rock is one of the most popular chicken breeds. They were bred to be dual-purpose chickens -- for meat and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom