Plywood alternatives

In my area ruff cut is much less expensive to cover a 4x8 section then a sheet of plywood or T1-11.
Rough cut timber are those that are not planed smooth and into the dimensions u would buy at a retail outlet. So a 4x4 rough cut is a true 4".

I always use rough cut and 'cut back' 1x4 planks for my horses fencing and stalls. And last I checked a few months ago the price hadn't changed from the previous year.

Rough cut timber are those that are not planed smooth and into the dimensions u would buy at a retail outlet. So a 4x4 rough cut is a true 4".

I always use rough cut and 'cut back' 1x4 planks for my horses fencing and stalls. And last I checked a few months ago the price hadn't changed from the previous year.
Correct. Depending on the mill, it can often be oversized. Normally a 8' board is a few inches longer than 8' and the ends are far from square.

Just beware the tendency of clear or translucent panels to turn a chicken coop into a rotisserie oven on even cool sunny days.

As well, while there is an attempt to make them UV stabilized, its not entirely successful. The cheap clear panels break down very quickly, the expensive clear panels, somewhat slower. Oddly enough, the darker the panel, the better the UV resistance. The very popular "PALRUF" brand (found at most big box store) only warrants for 5 years "against weathering, yellowing and loss of light transmission". Down here in FL, "Crazing" (that spiderweb like fracturing) starts to happen just a few years later - and with it, the material becomes increasingly brittle.

I should further note that their warranty if for "open ventilated" structures. For those of us building coops with plenty of ventilation just under the roofline and big overhangs, that's not a concern. But if your plan is to use this stuff as siding (predator protection "uncertain") and construct a moderately tight little box, may not be the best choice.

Last edited:
As well, while there is an attempt to make them UV stabilized, its not entirely successful. The cheap clear panels break down very quickly, the expensive clear panels, somewhat slower. Oddly enough, the darker the panel, the better the UV resistance. The very popular "PALRUF" brand (found at most big box store) only warrants for 5 years "against weathering, yellowing and loss of light transmission". Down here in FL, "Crazing" (that spiderweb like fracturing) starts to happen just a few years later - and with it, the material becomes increasingly brittle.

I should further note that their warranty if for "open ventilated" structures. For those of us building coops with plenty of ventilation just under the roofline and big overhangs, that's not a concern. But if your plan is to use this stuff as siding (predator protection "uncertain") and construct a moderately tight little box, may not be the best choice.

Yet another reason that metal is so popular for barns, coops, etc. here in the Steamy Southeast.

use hardware cloth frame and you can skin it with anything. Hang outat the dump and get you some Stuff. I went by a demo of the city park and the contractor was hoping someone would come get all the tin off the ball park dug outs and baseball buildings ( sheds, batting cage, score box...) He was going to push them down and into a dumpster. I wated a year until i found my roof that was FREE.
17' of power coated aluminum walk way roofing.

Attachments

• SSPX0970.JPG
    SSPX0970.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 6
  • SSPX0991.JPG
    SSPX0991.JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 6
use hardware cloth frame and you can skin it with anything. Hang outat the dump and get you some Stuff. I went by a demo of the city park and the contractor was hoping someone would come get all the tin off the ball park dug outs and baseball buildings ( sheds, batting cage, score box...) He was going to push them down and into a dumpster. I wated a year until i found my roof that was FREE.
17' of power coated aluminum walk way roofing.
Awesome 👍!

Back
Top Bottom