Plywood alternatives

My pre-fab joke coop is caving in and needs to be replaced before winter sets in here in Tennessee. And of course wood prices are sky high still. I'm in search of plywood alternatives. I currently have 3 silkies so my goal is to make the coop area large enough that when it is wet out they can hang out in the coop and have plenty of room.
I've begun a 9.5'x4' foundation...then when it came to the flooring and walls I just cant see paying nearly $30 for 4x8 sheet of plywood!
I found this and wanted to see what yall thought and if anyone had ever tried using it before for similar projects.
1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board
My thinking is this would hopefully suffice for sound structure and weather proof (even a little sound proof for my roo) until i come across old barnwood or something like i really would prefer to cover it with in the future.
thank u for your help!!!
Not sure if covered above (too little time) but I picked up some very cheap Trex deck board remnants. Indestructible and cut, drill screws like wood...

up here in Canada we use Kijiji instead of Craigs list.

Iā€™m in south KY and in the same boat sort of. Lumber prices have come down except for plywood-specifically the 1/2, 3/4, and 1ā€ boards. Prices vary 40-75 depending on style and features. The t1-11 has come back to normal ish prices.

A fella watching me try to do math directed me to the next aisle and showed me that I could actually use good quality 1ā€ boards for far less-I think they were pine (redwood/cedar for about the same as ply). This seems to be very much store brand and region specific and may/may not be viable where you are. I donā€™t know what style or size structure you are going for but maybe itā€™s something you can look at?

Just offering an idea...

I built mine with Hardieboard. Normally more expensive than plywood, when lumber prices rose, it was slow to follow. Concrete and fiberglass, its in it for the VERY long haul. Great moisture resistance. HARD on tools.

If you are making a long term investment, it may be worth it. Short term, thin metal roofing panels are a quick fix, but there are definite concerns cutting them and cleanin up the edges later. Best if you work in lengths you don't need to cut.
Definitely recommend James Hardie board for Tennessee. Generic name is fiber cement board.

My pre-fab joke coop is caving in and needs to be replaced before winter sets in here in Tennessee. And of course wood prices are sky high still. I'm in search of plywood alternatives. I currently have 3 silkies so my goal is to make the coop area large enough that when it is wet out they can hang out in the coop and have plenty of room.
I've begun a 9.5'x4' foundation...then when it came to the flooring and walls I just cant see paying nearly $30 for 4x8 sheet of plywood!
I found this and wanted to see what yall thought and if anyone had ever tried using it before for similar projects.
1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board
My thinking is this would hopefully suffice for sound structure and weather proof (even a little sound proof for my roo) until i come across old barnwood or something like i really would prefer to cover it with in the future.
thank u for your help!!!
I used fence boards to give it a different look used caulk for the cracks but I am in California so its not that cold here:

I used fence boards to give it a different look used caulk for the cracks but I am in California so its not that cold here:

I used fence boards -- but only OVER wire because we don't trust the quality of the wood.

I didn't bother about the cracks. They won't allow serious wind through.

My current coop is made from leftover R- panels from our barn construction. The front and back have expanded metal for ventilation. In winter, I put clear poly-carb sheets over the expanded metal. I just checked and saw that the price of poly-carb sheets has gone way up. I'd look for a different option if I had to do it today. How about repurposing a metal tool shed? Sometimes people list them and other materials for free if you come and take them away.

Back
Top Bottom