Plywood alternatives

My pre-fab joke coop is caving in and needs to be replaced before winter sets in here in Tennessee. And of course wood prices are sky high still. I'm in search of plywood alternatives. I currently have 3 silkies so my goal is to make the coop area large enough that when it is wet out they can hang out in the coop and have plenty of room.
I've begun a 9.5'x4' foundation...then when it came to the flooring and walls I just cant see paying nearly $30 for 4x8 sheet of plywood!
I found this and wanted to see what yall thought and if anyone had ever tried using it before for similar projects.
1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board
My thinking is this would hopefully suffice for sound structure and weather proof (even a little sound proof for my roo) until i come across old barnwood or something like i really would prefer to cover it with in the future.
thank u for your help!!!
I would honestly go with 11/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Yellow Pine Plywood Sheathing.
It's a few bucks more per sheet, but much more durable in the long run.
Asphalt Impregnated Board is something you put (over) an exterior panel, not a stand-alone
alternative. It's made to be installed over wood, rigid insulation or as a recovery board.
It's more of a "sheathing membrane" for insulation and / or sound deadening than it is a
building material. If you put it (over) the plywood, that would be one thing - but not all by itself.

My pre-fab joke coop is caving in and needs to be replaced before winter sets in here in Tennessee. And of course wood prices are sky high still. I'm in search of plywood alternatives. I currently have 3 silkies so my goal is to make the coop area large enough that when it is wet out they can hang out in the coop and have plenty of room.
I've begun a 9.5'x4' foundation...then when it came to the flooring and walls I just cant see paying nearly $30 for 4x8 sheet of plywood!
I found this and wanted to see what yall thought and if anyone had ever tried using it before for similar projects.
1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board
My thinking is this would hopefully suffice for sound structure and weather proof (even a little sound proof for my roo) until i come across old barnwood or something like i really would prefer to cover it with in the future.
thank u for your help!!!
I used pallets. They are free. Just tore them apart and pulled out the nails. Most are 4 ft wide so are already cut to length. My coop is 4×6. The roof is sloped with one side at 4 ft and the taller side at 6ft. Works great for a smaller flock. But you can make it as tall or long as you want.

Cutting it was the worst with hand-held manual shears. But the pens look so nice and I don't have to worry about something chewing through the wood or it rotting.

My stepdad has a bunch of tools and he got so annoyed he busted out some saw and started using that. lol
At the risk of being scolded for not reading the entire thread, I’ll drop my 2 cents in. When cutting corrugated metal, take a normal circular saw and turn the blade around backwards. Cuts like a dream. You still need to be careful of the edges. On my last coop I used horizontal metal sheets for the siding and covered the raw corners with 1x4. Slap some Thompson’s on the bits that see rain and smile at your masterpiece!

When cutting corrugated metal, take a normal circular saw and turn the blade around backwards.

I've heard that works great, but beware,

The manufacturer of our roofing said specifically that doing that or using an angle grinder to make the cuts would void the 40-year warranty on the coating because of the heat it generates.

The manufacturer of our roofing said specifically that doing that or using an angle grinder to make the cuts would void the 40-year warranty on the coating because of the heat it generates.
Yeah I totally get that. My metal was second hand that I used for siding. No warranty there. Very good point.

Not that it matters now that we sold that house, but when the contractor installed the metal roof, they cut the the panels with a circular saw, lol.

Not that it matters now that we sold that house, but when the contractor installed the metal roof, they cut the the panels with a circular saw, lol.

It probably doesn't hold for all companies and all types of roofing. But it is important to know what you're dealing with.

I love my electric metal shears. SOOOOOO easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom