Plz help my chicken can’t walk

Maheen chaudhry

Hatching
Mar 7, 2021
image.jpg
Help my chicken can’t walk. She is one of our most dearest. She didn’t walk around much but she was fine. Until one day we woke up and saw that she could walk at all. She stays on her knees and falls on her face when she tries and starts flapping her wings rapidly. She can stand up fine but can’t walks. She hasn’t been eating so we feed her with a syringe and make sure she’s getting some food and water. We kept her inside separated from the other flock just in case it’s contagious. See had her for almost 4 years now she never had this issue. She has also stopped laying eggs since winter started. Plz help me she is very close to us and I’m afraid we are going to have to put her down if she doesn’t get better soon.

Sorry about your lame hen. Have you added any new chickens in the last few months? What do you feed her? I would try to rule out possible eggbound by inserting a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for an egg. It is possible that she might be restarting to lay and cannot pass the egg. At her age, she is getting older, and hens can develop egg yolk peritonitis and other reproductive problems. An injury from jumping or being mated could be a possibility. I would keep her in a dog crate or pen with food and water close to her. Chicken slings or chairs can be a good way to help them stay upright and make it easier to eat and drink. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

sounds like mareks, or a hurt leg. feel her leg to see if it feels broken. I am thinking mareks. I am so sorry
She gets better and starts walking but then a day later she starts to fall and flap her wings again :( I hope it’s not mereks disease and her leg seems fine their is no injury or anything. She isn’t showing any other symptom of mereks disease but their might be a possibility. She has been inside getting taken care of for almost 2 weeks and doesn’t seem to fully recover

Hi folks, I had a chick that was 3 weeks old showing these same signs. The laying on her side, legs straight out and shivering even under the heat lamp.

I fed her nutra drench and an Electrolytes solution (unflavored pedialyte) mixed in a syringe for about 3.5 days (fed her about every hour or hour and a half) before she showed any signs of improving. Then it was like someone flipped a switch and she was up on her drumstick walking around and finally showing an interest in food. About another day and a half of the nutra drench and electrolytes and she was back on her feet and trying to perch. Also, I kept her right next to her flockmates but in a seperate "box". Happy to say that after all of that work she is recovered

No idea if this is the problem, but could try giving her some vitamin B supplements, such as described in this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...o-unbalanced-new-video-post-385.371501/page-5
It probably can't hurt to try.
I recently had a pullet with symptoms as described in that post. It started with the right leg, having trouble balancing and such, then a week later the left leg as well. By the time I eventually found this post she couldn't walk at all and the right leg was fairly stiff. After a few days, the left leg improved but the right never did.

Edit:
Just saw the original posts were from some time ago, how is she going? Any improvement?

Back
Top Bottom