PLZ HELP MY JUST HATCHED CHICK!!

XoJennyxO

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Claremore, OK
Okay so I was going to throw out the three eggs that made it into lockdown today after i put them in a ziplock and was going to go bury them one started peeping i realized that there was a small pip in the eggshell. anyways i was sure they were dead (put in on the 6th) and today is the 28th well we figured out it was shrink wrapped (our power went out with numerous tornado storms) and now that I've helped it hatch by moistening the membrane and soaking the chick it pushed itself outta the rest of the egg and i'm scared of its neck. Am i just overreacting or is this a showgirl silkie by mistake instead of the bearded I was to receive? It's trying to stand up and moving around and chirping i'm just scared something is wrong with its neck... This is the only chick that made it out of 7... So I desperately want it to be okay.. even if it turns out "special" These were intended for pet purposes anyways so I don't care about "disposing of weak or late hatching chicks" Sorry for the bluntness but I'm a lover not a killer.... Unless my chick is severely deformed and it's for humane reasons

I had just wiped off the thermometer and put it back inside it's the correct temp inside the bator...

My only advice is to give the little chickie a while to dry off and try to get it's balance and then you'll see if it's okay. :( Probably not the answer you were looking for, but, sometimes wait-and-see is the only way to go.

OH my goodness I love you!! Thank you for such a fast response!! I had gotten myself and my 2 year old so excited about one of the chicks making it that I immediately burst into tears when it pushed itself out of its shell and saw that it didn't have any hair and it looked like a lump on its neck. Thank you so much.
wee.gif

You are welcome. Give it a chance to dry and get some strength in it's legs...by tomorrow morning, it will be fuzzy and running around :) Your daughter is gonna love it! However, since it is the only survivor, you may want to get it a buddy from somewhere...chicks really need friends. Until then, you can give it a 'friend'...a small stuffed animal or some people love to use a feather duster to keep the baby company! If a feed store near you has chicks, that is probably the best option.

Good luck, post a pic of the baby once it's all dried and fluffy :)

Back
Top Bottom