pneumonia, day 10 with meds and no improvement - what to do?

I am not a vet so take this info as my opinion and experience only.

We had two birds come down with a respiratory problem and our breeder suggested using Tylan 50 injectable. It is given in their left breast for 3-5 days 1/2 cc daily. It knocked whatever they had right out and they were showing improvements even the next day, and of course we treated the full 5 days.

I don't know anything about the antibiotic you were giving before, so maybe that is an even stronger drug than this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Just be careful with electrolytes, which, if overdosed, can actually kill a bird by throwing his system out of balance. And though Tylan is the preferred first choice antibiotic for respiratory bacterial infections, it will do nothing for a virus. Their system has to be able to fight that off. This is why everyone should pay attention to developing a flock of birds with strong immune systems before anyone is ill, or they will forever be fighting these things.

I don't know for 100% sure the bird has a virus, however, what I'm going on is that he has been on antibiotics for 10 days with no improvement. If it was bacterial, he would have shown at least some improvement, even if he really needed a stronger antibiotic to kick it out for good.

Yes, very good to know - thanks!

I've added Poly-vi-sol to the patients' drinking water, the red hen is on antibiotics because I want to see if they do anything for her.

Sunshine is on his own with chick crumbles for extra protein, scrambled eggs, warmth and lots of rest.

Next week when the "farm vet" is open again I will call to see if there is anything else I can do for Sunshine, or just let nature run its course.

Sigh.

More dry coughing in the coop, humidity has risen to 88% (up from 78% two days ago), it's freezing cold in there and there is NOTHING I can do. They have two heat lamps, ventilation, no drafts, plenty of bedding, warm breakfasts, scratch with corn for warmth, green tea in their drinking water and poly-vi-sol for the two younger ones.

I really, really hate winter!

Seeing as this happened a year and a half ago, I don't really remember... except that once a chicken has this kind of illness, even if they live a normal life (drink, eat, lay, run around) they will always have recurring episodes and are contagious to others, who may or may not survive the illness. it sucks.

Back
Top Bottom