Polish and Buff Orps

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
Hi
I just purchased three Polish and Three Buff Orpingtons, I'm now reading on the forum that Polish usually have to be separated from the other breeds due to them picking on them. I have also read that with clipping the feathers around their eyes they will see better and have more confidence. I guess my question is this. Has anybody had Polish and other breeds together without problems? I don't have room to build another coop and would rather not separate the pen unless I have to. The Polish are four weeks older then the Buff chicks that just turned four weeks themselves. Someone give me a little hope here. The guy I bought them from said they would get along because the Buffs are so docile and friendly.

My advice would be to observe them. If your Polish start hiding (if they hide in a corner or under anything, they are being picked on), you will have to separate them. BO's are usually docile chickens, but you can still get "bullys". Just watch them. Their actions will tell you if you need to do something different.

My Polish could not stay with my sex links, RIR, Wyandottes, and Barred Rocks. I never put them with the BO's cause I was breeding them & wanted purebreds.

Jean

My husband has a polish boy and 3 girls. They are in with my main flock. The pullets tend to keep to themselves. The cockeral, Elvis, loves to be on the roost right in the middle of my big white wyandottes. When he is with those girls he crows and crows and crows. His crow cannot hold a candle to my big barred rock's crow but still Elvis 'sings' every morning. LOL

Just watch them and see if there is a problem. If yes, separate them. If not, let them be.

Thank you for answering me and giving me hope. Has anyone else had Polish and Buff Orps together or any other kind of breed. I just want to know what to expect. I wish the person that sold me the chickens would have told me a little more about the Polish not getting along with other types. So far though, when I take the little Orps out and put them in the run for an hour or so, the Polish either ignore them or one of the hens will chase the babies around and pluck a feather or two. So for now the Polish are in charge, but when the orps grow I'm still wondering what's in store.

RedFeathers.....I have a polish Roo...he is an adopted boy from AZ. He was in a pen alone because my RIR roos would kick his butt...so, I put a few of my BO hens in with him. He was sooo happy!! No picking, and of course...he had his own ladies. I have since moved the BO hens out, and he has a Salmon Faverole hen. They are best buds! I think the Polish and BO will be just fine.

Oh that's such good news! I really appreciate you letting me know that. Thanks for the reply.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom