Polish can't see!!!

This is my polish with the same problem. I like the idea of the ponytail but would like the keep his/her look. If I was to trim some feathers around the eye how close to the skin should I go? A friend of mine said he heard that some people pluck the feathers around the eyes. Anyone else hear this? If Yes, how would you go about doing so? Tweezers?

Thanks for your knowledge...

Currently having the same problem with mine, she has a hard time getting down the coop ramp due to her poor depth perception! I’m definitely going to try the pony tail!

Attachments

• CA57BFEF-FBEB-44CA-BB35-696C1F322A72.jpeg
    CA57BFEF-FBEB-44CA-BB35-696C1F322A72.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 21
Did the ponytail stay in? I have an 8 week old polish in my set of 3 chickens and the other 2 try to help her out but by golly... girl is struggling. her crest is huge and she can barely see and keeps cutting her comb by running into things

This is my polish with the same problem. I like the idea of the ponytail but would like the keep his/her look. If I was to trim some feathers around the eye how close to the skin should I go? A friend of mine said he heard that some people pluck the feathers around the eyes. Anyone else hear this? If Yes, how would you go about doing so? Tweezers?

Thanks for your knowledge...
I had a silkie with the same problem. trim their feathers, do not pull them out. Get a small pair of scissors, think very small, and trim any feathers hanging directly above their eyes. Then you will want to cut away any feathers around the beak area so there is a clear line from the eye going down to the beak so they can see forward

I had a silkie with the same problem. trim their feathers, do not pull them out. Get a small pair of scissors, think very small, and trim any feathers hanging directly above their eyes. Then you will want to cut away any feathers around the beak area so there is a clear line from the eye going down to the beak so they can see forward
polish chiccken feather guide.png

Cut around the red area kinda like this so they can see off to the side and forward
(photo off of google)

Post is 5 years old. Pretty sure they came up with a solution

I just cut their tops every month. They are cool looking, but they are the first to get caught by predators and easy picking for hawks. I eventually lost all 4 of mine to hawks.

I’m so glad I stumbled over this, I have polish chicks and I just realized how skittish they are... I thought these birds are little chicken “ sheets” lol... but tomorrow they are getting pony tails...

Hi ya. I got 3 new 17wk old chickens last week and one was a buff laced polish.
She walks into and off things and even after cutting a the feathers from round her eyes she still can't see. I think she only sees light and shade.

I now can't add her to my 6 existing flock as worried they will pick on her as she is blind.

I did think I might try and get another polish for company and keep them in their own run. She is so sweet, loves cuddles and makes cute purring sounds.

My husband said take her back to the breeder but I feel I can't give up on her.

Am I being silly?

X

Back
Top Bottom