polish chicken sexing

lennonsdumb

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
hello! i recently purchased 2 polish chickens. i believe they are both about 2 months old. i have no idea how to sex polish chickens as ive never owned any. here are some pictures.
IMG_4224.jpg
IMG_4225.jpg
IMG_4226.jpg

i believe the last one is a cockerel, it's already getting wattles. im not 100% sure though.

The first and last look a lot like boys. The middle one is hard to tell, but at this age the first and last look so much like boys I highly doubt they are girls.

Here are my polish chickens I believe one is a rooster and the other is a hen, however the male has not crowed or anything should I worry? I got them in November 2020 and they were a few months old as I was told but I don’t rely on what people tell me. Had an aggregate Silkie and got rid of him due to him hurting my baby. Seen him come back to acting normal and not hunkering down in one spot he is now moving all over the pen. Should I be worried he isnt crowing?

Attachments

• 5CAEB8E6-D085-4C03-BA5B-13BB2C075187.jpeg
    5CAEB8E6-D085-4C03-BA5B-13BB2C075187.jpeg
    604.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 0B28B92A-E315-47FC-A589-4516CC9FE7A1.jpeg
    0B28B92A-E315-47FC-A589-4516CC9FE7A1.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 8B2DBB59-D1A4-4002-85F6-ABF91AB26DF2.jpeg
    8B2DBB59-D1A4-4002-85F6-ABF91AB26DF2.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 5
Here are my polish chickens I believe one is a rooster and the other is a hen, however the male has not crowed or anything should I worry? I got them in November 2020 and they were a few months old as I was told but I don’t rely on what people tell me. Had an aggregate Silkie and got rid of him due to him hurting my baby. Seen him come back to acting normal and not hunkering down in one spot he is now moving all over the pen. Should I be worried he isnt crowing?

Not all roosters Crow. If there's another rooster that's the boss, the others won't crow. The tall one is definitely a boy, I'm on the fence with the small one.

If he's eating and drinking normally, Just be happy he's not screeching / crowing yet. :D

I love polish, we have 5, all of ours have feathered out much more than that at 8 weeks. I agree with you that the bottom one is probably a boy. The middle one and top one could still be girls, but polish are hard to sex until they get older. They don't really have a set progression of feathering that indicates girl or boy, they only have very general hints until they hit a certain age. I have three girls that have feathered out very differently, I had them DNA sexed because we hatched them and we are not allowed to have roosters here and they came back all girls, but all their feathers are growing in differently. They are 11 weeks now and none of them have wattles yet. If you remember you should repost pictures in this thread in a few weeks. They should have more crest feathers by then and more wattles if they are headed in the boy direction :).

Back
Top Bottom