Polish chicken's head is a little bloody. What to do? (Pics)

sally4500

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
NH
54219_015.jpg

Hello everyone,
I came home from work tonight to find poor little Tina's head a bloody mess. I am assuming she was pecked, as the middle feathers are missing.

I cleaned it up and put bag balm on it. They have not been bothering her since it has been clean.

Should I cut off all the feathers, or is that just going to invite the hens to peck her again?? Is there something else I could do for her??

Thanks.

No, it isn't a hole, just bare skin where the feathers are missing. I did stay for a half hour to watch them when I brought her back to the coop, and noone seemed to care that she was there. I plan on checking later tonight, Iam sure they are asleep now.

If they are all getting along now and there is no blood she should be ok. You said you but bag balm on it. That or an antibiotic ointment or Vaseline should deter the pecking, keep infection out, and allow the spot to heal. I have noticed with my chickens that the skin seems to heal fairly fast. I would not worry about cutting the rest of the feathers. I'm sure she might like a treat though.
wink.png

Just keep an eye on her.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom