Polish chicks

lrockwell

Hatching
Apr 28, 2021
I received 19 Americana and 6 Polish day old chicks on March 23- the Americanas are all doing fine-I kept them seperate- both have Brinsea brooders, waterers and organic chick starter/grower. I also finely chop organic greens for them- a handful per day.
2 Polish died at 3 days and in the last week 2 more have died. The three day olds I understand but the two this last week I don't know what I am doing wrong. They look puffy and don't hold their wings up and then dead. Yesterday I switched them to medicated chick starter and added Sav a Chick electrolytes to their water. The Americanas have moved out to the barn but these Polish are still in my dining room and I am afraid the last two will die. Do you have any suggestions. The same thing happened last year- no Polish survived- they are my daughter's favorites so I would like to have a couple for her if possible. Please help!

I’m sorry you’re going through the struggles with the chicks. We just lost our buff polish chick today. She was always weaker then the rest, and I really wanted her to thrive but unfortunately didn’t make it. Perhaps, the polish are just generally harder to care for? I have 10 others of various breeds and doing great.

Here's a possibility. In the Polish chick brooder, is there an open dish waterer? Are the chicks getting their head poof wet when they drink? If so, the chicks may be getting hypothermia.

Have you seen any bloody stools to indicate coccidiosis? Have you checked closely under wings , vent, and topknot for parasites? Usually with chicks a problem like that may indicate the need for Corid or sweet bleach.

Back
Top Bottom