Polish Cockerel- breed issue or sick?

JordannL

Songster
Jul 7, 2023
W.V.
So HeiHei is up and walking around, doesn't really seem lethargic. But when I feed all the chickens, whether I put the food in the dishes or scatter it on the ground, everyone runs to it...including Heihei, but instead of eating, he does this. He'll lie on the ground at the edge of the food or in the middle of it, and just kinda looks like he isn't interested in eating. Is it because he can't see, is it because the Polish breed isn't very smart in general? Nothing screams sickness, necessarily, but I'm still a little concerned.

Attachments

• 20230711_183550.jpg
    20230711_183550.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 85
Has he always done this? Age? Weight loss?

Since there are no other symptoms and he's fine other wise, makes me wonder if due to his head feathers he can't really see the feed? Just guessing here ... Have you seen him drink water? Could you post a picture of him with his head up, looking straight head ... Maybe a picture of his eyes?
My guess is the head feathers obscuring his vision but I could be wrong. Could try making a "top knot" ponytail (not tight) or something so when he looks down, the feathers not in his face?

Has he always done this? Age? Weight loss?

Since there are no other symptoms and he's fine other wise, makes me wonder if due to his head feathers he can't really see the feed? Just guessing here ... Have you seen him drink water? Could you post a picture of him with his head up, looking straight head ... Maybe a picture of his eyes?
My guess is the head feathers obscuring his vision but I could be wrong. Could try making a "top knot" ponytail (not tight) or something so when he looks down, the feathers not in his face?
He's always been kind of goofy. It's just been the past 2 days that I've seen him not seem interested in eating. He is 3.5 months old. No weight loss. He's never been bigger than what he is now. I've seen him drinking a little water. I'll try to get more pictures of him, he's just been sleeping. I thought it could be the feathers, I'm just not sure how to trim them. I'll look it up and see how to do it and how much. I tried a point trail yesterday, and he just kept scratching like he didn't like his feathers being pulled back so I took the hair tie out immediately.

How's his poop, picture? Check under his feet for any injury.
Everything's ok but the last two days he's been sitting in the middle of the food to eat, right? Check his crop first thing in the morning & at night, AM should be empty & at night should be full.

How's his poop, picture? Check under his feet for any injury.
Everything's ok but the last two days he's been sitting in the middle of the food to eat, right? Check his crop first thing in the morning & at night, AM should be empty & at night should be full.
I have 21 chickens so I'm not sure whose poop is whose. Yes, the last 2 days is the only time I've noticed him doing this. I've picked him up and checked, there isn't any injuries. His eyes are wide open. Nothing nasty. No infections. He generally seems fine, otherwise sleepy.

Back
Top Bottom