Polish Cockerel limping - unknown cause

I would not give Tylenol. If it is a sprain or strain any pain will limit his movement and enable it to heal better. Masking it, just encourages them to injure themselves further, when they are already still active. He is clearly not overly concerned about it from that video so a painkiller is totally unnecessary in my opinion. Limiting his ranging might benefit it if it is a strain but if it is Marek's, it may stress him and make it worse. I would just continue as you are now since he doesn't appear to be overly unhappy. We cannot be sure what is wrong so it seems unreasonable to set a time scale for it healing or consider medicating it. If he was in serious pain, he would be immobilising himself (standing around in a corner somewhere) and possibly going off his food and just looking sick. I'm not seeing any of that in the video.

If it is a pulled muscle or sprain, is there anything I should do to help it heal faster or just allow to heal on its own over time? I saw online that someone gave their chicken half of a Tylenol every morning for 5 days to help but I'm not so sure about that. Today he will be in his coop and run since the girls are free ranging so he won't be foraging as much. Maybe the limited mobility will help. I put oregano oil in their water last night for an extra immune boost.
Limited mobility MIGHT help.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet... my vet has NEVER said Tylenol for animals... aspirin is often more appropriate. BUT... pain is a good thing... it's there to slow you down, maybe limit range of motion, and stop you from making the injury worse. A natural protection. He isn't in enough pain for me to want it administer anything... which COULD mask other symptoms. Also you might be able to detect a temperature difference (some heat) with your hand that you can't detect with your eyes... which would be an indicator of the bodies natural immunity working on repair. If he was in so much pain it was causing him to stop eating that would be different.

Agree first thought is Marek's... but video gives hope it is something else! :fl

We decided to give him some TLC today.

EB7968C4-FDE4-4BD4-BF10-3B73CFE89410.jpeg

He loved the epson salt bath and fell asleep multiple times. :love

0650251A-2226-4B44-B236-86FF90381A53.jpeg 2C569FBA-745E-40B0-9FD5-D06D546BF644.jpeg

Just thought I'd give y'all an update on Chocolate. He is doing much much better!! His limp is mostly gone, I only notice it if he runs sometimes. I am thinking he pulled it trying to jump at our little dog. For some reason Chocolate can't decide if the little dog is a predator or not. We are working on that. Thank you all for your kind words and advice. BYC has been a great chicken educator for me.

Back
Top Bottom