Polish Hen shot in head with BB gun

You need to report this,
kids that hurt animals like this if not stopped and clearly lied about it will sooner or later hurt children and other people.
I have spent a lot of years in Juvenile corrections, sigh.
glad your hen looks like she will be okay.

Quote:
I know, but I would really feel bad for the parents. They really are nice people. I think she just needs to keep a closer eye on her son. Hopefully she will now. I do know that if I see him with the BB gun anytime soon, I will go have a talk with them.

Paula

hi Paula..i know..i would also feel bad about the parents...but he did delibertly AIM and shoot the bird..that is what is bothering me so much....its tough..i'd hate to be in your shoes right now...and BTW..if you have him clean stalls...i'd supervise him 100%...because i'm telling you..that children that abuse animals is a tried and PROVEN true way to tell if a kid has some serious problems..ESPECIALLY with the no remorse ( i work with very high risk children..and i see it ALOT..thats why i was saying i think its important to call the authorities..)...i wish you and this child and the poor hen my best. take care, Wendy

Hey Wendy. I know exactly what you're saying. I've seen that happen myself. Thanks for the advice.

Paula

How old is the child? If he's over 12 I would probably seriously consider calling the police to file a report. If he's still pretty young I'd let it go. The neighbors seem really nice about it and there's no need to press the issue. I would stress to them they need to be aware of his actions and try to educate the young man so he doesn't do something like this again.

Just my 2c.

Last edited:
if he continues to use the gun you could ask his mom to get him plastic bb`s. they are much safer and arent likely to do any damage.

Quote:
He's probably only 10 or so. So yeah, he is pretty young. And they are being nice about it. I definitely will keep a closer eye on him, though.

Paula

Quote:
Hey Jim, just wondering is the BB still in his head, or did it come out?

Paula

its out,,but if theres 1 still in,, it should either stay there, or it may "fess up" and get forced out. can you feel it in there?
my roo had a head full of infection,, eyes were just puss,, plus comming out of his head where the BB went through,, i ended up soaking his head in warm salt water about 6 times a day,, didnt know much else at the time,, he was like my third bird that i kept long enough to figure out he was a roo,, so i didnt know bout meds and things,,, but he made it
wink.png

pretty sure yours will ,, their pretty tough birds
wink.png

Jim, I can't tell for sure if it is still in there. But it has to be because it looks like she was shot from the top, so it couldn't come out anywhere. So do you think I should just keep giving her Tylan for a few days, and keep putting the antibiotic ointment? I guess that's about all I can do for her.

Paula

I would get so crazy on that family that they would forever think of me as the psycho chicken woman neighbor! I would not let the kid off so easy; as others have pointed out, personality disorders often start out with animal torture and progress to humans. If the little sociopath's not showing proper remorse for the suffering he has caused, you need to ratchet up the response IMO. Could be that the Mom is codling her widdle angel (all too common) when he should be grounded for months!

After I calmed down and am no longer a danger to the little brat, I would probably at least present them with a bill for medical supplies and time spent doctoring the poor bird. Also include any conceivable lost $ from showing or breeding your bird, and of course any vet bills if you take her in.

I would probably threaten a small claims suit, but I personally hate to get the cops involved. The parents need to take the kids gun away, like forever.

Best of luck to you and your poor hen. I wish I could help with that. Keep us posted.

I really hope the parents step up and take this seriously. I know what you all mean. This could eventually escalate into something more serious. And it's not that the parents don't care. His dad is really compassionate when it comes to animals. He is a horse lover, and dog lover, and has also raised chickens. They're good people, maybe just need to take a firm hand with the son on this.

Paula

Back
Top Bottom