Polish hen won't use ramp to get into coop....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beachcoopgirls, Aug 26, 2016.

1. beachcoopgirls

beachcoopgirls Just Hatched

Jun 24, 2016
    I have four chickens ranging from 4-6 months old. Three of them manage to make it back into the coop at night but our polish is having difficulty and I always find her roosting on a big box we have in the run . Usually I don't mind helping her into the run at night but tonight we came home to pretty moderate rainfall and a poor soaked polish hen [​IMG] when the chickens are outside the run free ranging she is able to flutter into the coop through a larger door (2.5ft off the ground) but when in the run she would have to use a ramp (about 4.5 ft) ... What can I do?!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Show pic of ramp please.

3. beachcoopgirls

Jun 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's too steep...put a few blocks under the low end to bring it to about 30-35 degrees off horizontal.

5. beachcoopgirls

Jun 24, 2016

Thanks I'll try it- but what I don't understand is that if I put her on the very end of the ramp she (and the others) can all walk up it...

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. beachcoopgirls

Jun 24, 2016
    Oh well...I don't know then..... maybe she can't see well, too much top knot?
    Is there lots of windows for light in the coop?
    [/quote
    ]I'm thinking its a sight problem because of her feathers but I hate to cut them. She just started molting today so maybe that will help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by