Polish Questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JennKzoo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. JennKzoo

JennKzoo New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    We got three Polish chickens about a month ago. And of course the whole family is in LOVE [​IMG][​IMG] But just wondering if they would be something we could consider showing and breeding? Also any other info you could give me would be great, such as exact name any other info I might need to know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    All I can tell you is that the ones with white crests are White Crested Black Polish. Not sure if there's a specific name for the all black one. And I can tell you that they are very nice looking birds! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Gorgeous birds is all I can say!

4. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    You might have better luck if you posted this under Genetics & Showing in the polish Thread. How old are they?

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You know what? Showing poultry is fun and it is a good safe family activity. So take them and show them.

I don't know enough about Polish to say if they can win, but I can see that they are at least good enough that you won't be laughed out of the barn.

You can go, have a very good time, and talk to some serious breeders of Polish who will talk your ears off about what features to look for. You'll have the opportunity to learn a lot.

Then if you really enjoy the showing and it turns out your birds are not Grand Champions, you can make arrangements at the show to purchase some serious show potential birds.

Or who knows, you might be walking around the show and come face to face with your heart breed. You'll know it if it happens. Your heart goes "Twang" when you look at them. Then you can make arrangements to purchase some birds or chicks of that breed.

6. JennKzoo

JennKzoo New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:LOL, that is a very good post. Thanks.
    Transporting Chickens to a show has to be easier than horses, they take up less space and gas (no need for a trailer, forgot about tack and all of that too) [​IMG].
    I also went back and forth over which thread to put this under, i will try the other thread too.
    Thanks for the compliments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by