Polish roo eye gone and eye socket bleeding help

This is my poor boy today :(

Sorry that he is not doing so well. Can you get some help, wrap him in a towel every day, and try doing some warm saline or betadine water soaks on his eye area for 20 minutes or so? His eye still looks infected, and I think you may need to try cleaning out any pus drainage or crust out of the eye. Have you put any Neosporin or other eye ointment into the eye?

Yes we've been using neosporin daily I've been holding warm paper towels soaked in saline water to his wound everyday I've read where everyone says to squirt the saline on the area but I think with where its located it could harm him I'm also using vetericyn on it just started that today he's still eating well and drinking good and he crows a whole lot I'm giving him pennicilin shots everyday, I've taken q-tips and tried gently wiping the pus away I'm sorry but I just don't know what I'm doing when I try to clean it I'm afraid ill hurt him what would be the best way to clean the puss and crusty stuff off? Thank you for your kindness!

I would use a thick wet wash cloth to do the soaks and make it pretty moist. Just wash the same cloth out in some weak bleach water each time to clean it afterward, then rinse well. I'm afraid you can't be too gentle--the more moist it gets, the softer it will be, and you can try Q-Tips and tweezers, or gloved fingers. Holding his head sideways and keeping the nose up, so that the saline doesn't run into the nares, you can drip the saline into the eye. Saline won't kill him if it gets into his nose, but water might. I wish I could help you do it. Do you have any nurse or EMT friends to help?

Thank you for the advice so what I need to be doing is peeling loose the crusty scab area and then try to remove any of the yellow that's there? Is it bad if he starts bleeding or would that be normal and will this help with the swelling, my husband has 2 uncles that work at the vets office but they don't deal with chickens :( we wrapped him in a towel yesterday and did the soak the crusty stuff started lifting up and I was able to remove some of it hopefully I'm doing it right.

Should I try and lance it :( its just swelling more and how do I get the yellow infection out? Please help all comments and advice appreciated!

Is the eye for sure gone under there? I have no experience with lancing this kind of wound. I would be cleaning out the gunky middle of the eye where it is crusted, trying to get to pink healthy tissue or the eyeball if it is there. The swelling looks pretty bad. Are you still giving the penicillin shots? I might talk to the uncles to see if the vet would see your rooster.

His eye is there its a wound above his eye I thought at first it was his eye gone but after cleaning the blood off I seen him open it we just got done soaking his wound I took tweezers and tried to get any of the yellow out that I could i took a pic Ill post and yes Im still giving him pennicilin shots I had gave them to him for 4 days when it first happened and then when the swelling started which was about 2-3 days ago I restarted giving them to him again, today will be shot shot # 3 I'm having my husband try to get a hold of them I took a syringe and squirted the povidone solution of course weakened into the wound I'm new to everything chicken we've had them since June. Thank you for responding back I appreciate it greatly!

Back
Top Bottom