Polish roo eye gone and eye socket bleeding help

I hope others will give me some insight on this too I wasn't sure which dosage to order I ordered the 250 mg I thought the 500 sounded maybe to strong for a chicken how do I give him this in his water food or trick him by putting it in a treat?
I have been trying to find the dosage. Do you know how much he weighs? Some people use a cheap postal scale to weigh chickens. The dose I found on this thread is 10-40mg per Kg (each 2.2 lb) twice a day. That would be 40-160 mg twice a day for a 9lb chicken. On this same thread they talk about draining the pus under the swelling and looking up inside the roof of the mouth for pus pockets and squeezing from the roof of the mouth. Here is the thread I found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/752480/polish-eye-injury-3-weeks-later-no-improvement-help

Since your tablets will be 250 mg, you will probably be able to split them into 125 mg per half tablet. Then if you need to quarter them it would be 62.5 mg. I have PM'd Casportpony since she has the vet drug dosage books.

Also, I wanted to point out that you shouldn't eat this rooster after using this antibiotic (not that you would) since it is not to be used in chickens for consumption or eggs.

I will go out and buy a scale tomorrow I'm not sure on his weight he turned 6 months old on the 16 th of this month. I'm also going to check out the roof of his mouth in the morning I hadn't noticed any signs of sickness before he got pecked but there's always the possibility that he could have an infection in his mouth causing this swelling ? I don't know how in the world to squeeze that stuff out it was hard trying to pick it out with tweezers but I know I didn't get no where the amount of infection out that the post you mentioned was talking about what I would get was little pieces no balls of infection I wonder if they can get infected feather follicles I'm trying to keep his wound open but it keeps closing up :( there's only a little pin hole down in the center and a good size circle of the wound always turn yellow within a hour of so of cleaning it but its like a film of skin not like the hard infection stuff. Oh goodness I'd never eat any of my chickens when my husband wanted to get them and build a coop I told him flat out we weren't eating them he wanted them for eggs lol and I became attached to my roo and a friendly outgoing black hen of the 15 we have. Thank you for all the time and help you have been giving me God bless you!!!

You are very welcome and thank you. I haven't had experience squeezing out pus, but I do know it hardens like a plug of wax. I have only seen it in bumblefoot, just pictures otherwise. My flock has been blessed with good health so far. I just found another reference for Ciprofloxicin dosage--this one says to add 1 gm (that is 1000 mg or 4 tablets crushed) to 1 liter of water for 3-5 days. Another reference says 5-10 mg per kg (or 2.2lb.) twice a day for 3-5 days. That one would probably equal out to less than 1/4 tablet twice a day. You can put the 1/4 tablet on the back of the tongue way back in the throat and make him swallow it. Since you haven't got the medicine yet we have time to research this more.

Okay I got the dosage out of Casportpony's Plumb's veterinary Medicine Handbook, and it says 20 mg of ciprofloxacin per each 2.2 lb or roughly 10 mg per pound of weight. No dairy products, and don't let him to become dehydrated while on this medication.

Thank you! I weighed him and he's right at 5 lbs I should have his meds by Monday. He's still doing ok still swollen up tho I looked in his mouth and its healthy just pink inside he was none to happy about me doing that lol he protested it. I will make sure he has plenty of fluids and ill give him some extra watery fruits and take his yogurt away. You have been So much help to me :) wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Since he is close enough to 6 lb I would probably go ahead and give 1/4 tablet (62.5 mg) which would be a little over the 10 mg per lb. I just hope he doesn't have hardened pus under the swelling. Some say that would need to come out by lancing it or cutting, but again I have no experience with that. Thank you for the kind words, and you also have a Merry Christmas with your family.

I see what looks like pus in these pictures:

I think you need to remove the pus.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom