Polish - roo or hen?

starfroggie

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Walla Walla
Initially I thought this chicken was a rooster. I got him (?) and his sister as chicks and posted up photos of them as little guys to this board to ask about gender. Everyone agreed that the dark one was a rooster and the white one a hen. Well Now he is all grown up and I have 10 chickens total. I have been able to keep him because he doesn't crow and I have never seen him try to mount any of the ladies. So my question is - did we get it right? Is he indeed a rooster, or is he a hen? Thanks for any assistance. He definitely has a different set of head feathers from my other polish, but has exhibited no rooster behaviors.

harrison1.jpg

harrison2.jpg

harrison3.jpg

I am no expert but it looks like a hen to me because a roo polidh will have more of a punk rocker looking crest while the hens look more like they have afrows.
smile.png

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
I have no idea but the last one is the funniest picture Ive ever seen! How adorable, I should get one
wee.gif

This bird is similar to yours...and I'm getting a hen vibe. Mainly because the males DO have spikier crests.

152161754_2c6d105a01.jpg

(The bird in the photo is a hen.)

does he/she have a red comb? under that hairdo? I'm definately thinking hen...straight tail feathers, no hackles...no spiked hair look...i think the white variety just has a tighter top knot generally...are he/she's legs skinny or thick?

Go to privetthatchery.com and look them up...she's a she for sure! (hope you wanted a hen)

Last edited:
mikarod, thanks for posting the photo - that is a gorgeous hen.

Red comb ... I don't know, I could try and check.

Guess I will have to rename her.
smile.png
And a hen is good. No complaints.

Back
Top Bottom