Polish Test...UPDATED!! EGG!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Carpe DiHen, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Got an EGG! I have 4 chickens that are 27 weeks old and three of them have been laying regularly for 3-4 weeks. Today, I got a fourth eggs! My Polish was clucking and barking and setting in the nest box off and on all day yesterday, then today....Ta Dah: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATED: Added this shot of her back to help others who are trying to figure out their GLP:
    [​IMG]

There rest of this is the old part of the post:
    This is a 28 week old Golden Laced Polish. If you JUST look at the head feathers Pullet or Cockerel? DO NOT LOOK AHEAD YET! This is a test!:

[​IMG]

Ok, now look at this, remember, this is a 6 month old bird:

[​IMG]

There are no wattles or comb, and this is the same head feathers as in the first picture, just from another angle:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    looks like a little pullet but you might wana wait until he or she is older for sure...

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Just going by the pointy feathers on the head, neck and saddle area, I'd say its a boy. It looks like it has the same feathering as my 3 boys of the same breed, and mine dont have combs or wattles either! Tail looks roo'ish too.

Let us know how it turns out!! [​IMG]

4. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    If that lays an egg, I'd be surprised. [​IMG]

I say roo that might be developing late.

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Girl [​IMG]

6. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    And now looking at the pics after i posted girl, guess what now i think GIRL , LOL there are no saddles. and teh head feathers are rounded, tehy would be way more pointy and out of control.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    pullet:)

8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Im thinking pullet as well.

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I am also thinking girl. Even if she isn't laying by now, a boy sure would be crowing and you would have lots more red in the face.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I too have some polish (3) and wondered what sex they were...posted pics and got about an even number of guesses either way. Mine are now 7 to 8 months old and one is beginning to show small signs of red in on the head and teeny tiny beginnings of wattles but still no crow nor egg from any of the three. That one is also showing signs now of being a tad more forward than the others although another one is chasing around and bumping chests with that one. I guess eventually they will do a crow or an egg!
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by