Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you're right. I only have a small coop and could not get more than 4 polish. I asked the lady to get me 4 extra chickens when she ordered from Murrey McMurrey. She was going to place an order. And yes, I only want vaccinated chickens. I was under the impression they came from the hatchery and were fully vaccinated. Until I found out otherwise. Yes, some people are unethical.

I really hope you get your Polish again! They look absolutely ador-a-ble! I waffled in the beginning between Silkies or Polish since both are very sweet breeds! I was given two free Partridge Silkies from a homeschool teacher mom who hatched eggs for a classroom project so that's how it was decided I'd have Silkies instead of Polish. Since I open-range the hens during the day I decided not to add Polish to the flock with those huge vision-impairment crests of theirs. I found the Silkies are very aerial-predator conscious and hide well but with raccoons, coyotes, and Coopers Hawks in our area I'm not sure Polish would be as alert to their surroundings. Cute cute cute birds and perhaps one day I'll add a couple in lieu of Silkies to see how they fare in the backyard flock.

I really hope you get your Polish again! They look absolutely ador-a-ble! I waffled in the beginning between Silkies or Polish since both are very sweet breeds! I was given two free Partridge Silkies from a homeschool teacher mom who hatched eggs for a classroom project so that's how it was decided I'd have Silkies instead of Polish. Since I open-range the hens during the day I decided not to add Polish to the flock with those huge vision-impairment crests of theirs. I found the Silkies are very aerial-predator conscious and hide well but with raccoons, coyotes, and Coopers Hawks in our area I'm not sure Polish would be as alert to their surroundings. Cute cute cute birds and perhaps one day I'll add a couple in lieu of Silkies to see how they fare in the backyard flock.
I have Silkies and Polish...the Polish are actually more skittish when free ranging than the silkies are...mine are anyways!! The tend to stay along the edge of the plants and bushes, or right in the middle of the flower beds!! The first sign of a shadow and everyone runs for the run...LoL

I have Silkies and Polish...the Polish are actually more skittish when free ranging than the silkies are...mine are anyways!! The tend to stay along the edge of the plants and bushes, or right in the middle of the flower beds!! The first sign of a shadow and everyone runs for the run...LoL

That's good to know that the Polish are skittish. My Silkies and occasionally the Dominique hens hug the block wall fence and go under benches or hug the trees or go into the dog houses we set out for them or they hang out under the lean-to benches under the pop-up canopies. The lean-to benches against the block wall afford them a bit of shade plus security as they hug the walls. We kinda made their half of the chicken backyard aerial-proof from flying predators by setting up 3 pop-up canopies on their side of the fence -- dividing our people side from the "chicken" side.-- lots of places for them to hide -- the people side has the raised veggie garden beds while their side has the newly planted citrus and pomegranate bushes (the bushes should be somewhat shady for them by next summer).

SANDBOX DUST-BATH UNDER LRG CANOPY STAYS DRY IN RAINY WEATHER
DSCN5167.JPG

MAKE-SHIFT LEAN-TO BENCH
DSCN5219.JPG
DSCN5223.JPG
DSCN5224.JPG

3 CHICKEN YARD CANOPIES
DSCN5261.JPG
DSCN5264.JPG

CHICKEN COOP AND RUN UNDER A ROOFED PATIO
DSCN5306.JPG

ALL THE HENS USE THE DOG HOUSES ESPECIALLY ON WINDY DAYS
DSCN5396.JPG

LEAN-TO BENCHES GIVE THE CHICKENS SHADE PLUS ARE STURDY ENOUGH FOR ME TO SIT ON
DSCN5591.JPG

AS I SIT ON A LEAN-TO BENCH I CAN LOOK AT THE HOUSE AND THE "PEOPLE" GARDEN / PATIO
DSCN5596.JPG

CHICKEN YARD -- LOOKING FROM UNDER THE 3RD CANOPY
DSCN5609.JPG
DSCN5617.JPG

A REGULAR BENCH WOULD LOOK NICER BUT THIS OVER-9-FOOT LEAN-TO BENCH WORKS FOR THE SILKIE TO HUG THE WALL WHEN SHE GOES TO THE BACK YARD -- THE STANDARD HEN IN THE PHOTO IS NOT A WALL-HUGGER LIKE THE SILKIES. I OFTEN SIT ON THIS BENCH IN THE EVENING TO VISIT WITH THE "GIRLS"
DSCN5651.JPG

NEWLY-PLANTED POMEGRANATE TREES NEED SHORT FENCES AND BRICKS SURROUNDING THEM TO KEEP THE HENS FROM DESTROYING THE TREES BEFORE THEY GROW TALL AND SHADY.
DSCN6002.JPG
DSCN6005.JPG

THIS SILKIE HUGS BLOCK WALLS -- EVEN HUGS SHORT BRICKS AROUND TREES
DSCN6006.JPG
:

I may be getting some Polish and Araucanas (but Barred Plymouth Rocks and Naked Necks are very much still in the hat) this winter/spring (For me, that's June-November) I like the gold laced, silver laced, and buff laced non-bearded Polish best, with no frizzling. I also like white Araucanas best.
Is the issue with their domed skull very common, like, them banging their heads and getting issues? Or getting pecked and developing brain abnormalities and malfunctions? Because I won't get them if it is a common problem that happens all the time.
PS: I would be getting 8-12 week olds.

I may be getting some Polish and Araucanas (but Barred Plymouth Rocks and Naked Necks are very much still in the hat) this winter/spring (For me, that's June-November) I like the gold laced, silver laced, and buff laced non-bearded Polish best, with no frizzling. I also like white Araucanas best.
Is the issue with their domed skull very common, like, them banging their heads and getting issues? Or getting pecked and developing brain abnormalities and malfunctions? Because I won't get them if it is a common problem that happens all the time.
PS: I would be getting 8-12 week olds.

There's no way of knowing the extent of open skull on Silkies or Polish which is why I sort of avoid crested sweeties unless I'm SURE they will be with other docile breeds and not larger aggressive diva hens because chickens will strike another bird's skull in conflicts which gives a taller larger bird opportunity to strike down on smaller breeds. Be prudent in flock breed choices when considering to incorporate crested docile breeds.

PIC OF AN OPEN SKULL -- open skulls vary from bird to bird -- this pic might be of a Silkie skull since it is so black and Silkies are known for black skin and black bones. Non-crested combed poultry don't have this open skull
Skull_06_Crop.JPG

Back
Top Bottom