Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my big mama hen, Athena!

My other 3 Goldens pretty much look the same from the front, but I'm hoping to hatch a few of their eggs crossed with my Sebright rooster next month. I had no idea chickens could look as fabulous as the Polish do! They crack me up!
big_smile.png
Your hen is beautiful. I have two Golden laced hens. I trim their crest because their vision is impeded and they startle. One of mine looks just like your girl and the other doesn't have the black beard. I also have a White Crested Black hen. They are definitely characters. I give them lots of love.

Your hen is beautiful. I have two Golden laced hens. I trim their crest because their vision is impeded and they startle. One of mine looks just like your girl and the other doesn't have the black beard. I also have a White Crested Black hen. They are definitely characters. I give them lots of love.
I have been thinking about trimming/tying the crests up to help them see better, but I have to admit to being a little nervous about cutting the feathers since I'm a total newbie with chickens. Is it pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it? Funnily enough, it's the hen with the smallest crest that is the flighty one - but she is also at the bottom of the pecking order, so that may have a lot to do with it. I'm supposed to be getting a a White Crested Blue chick in May & I'm wondering how long the white stays white. :D

Right now, we're working on them following me to and from the barn & their run. They have been getting adventurous lately and don't want to stay on my shoulder/in my hands for the walk (unlike their pampered rooster who *loves* to be carried around everywhere). They really move when they hear that treat cup rattle!

I have been thinking about trimming/tying the crests up to help them see better, but I have to admit to being a little nervous about cutting the feathers since I'm a total newbie with chickens. Is it pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it? Funnily enough, it's the hen with the smallest crest that is the flighty one - but she is also at the bottom of the pecking order, so that may have a lot to do with it. I'm supposed to be getting a a White Crested Blue chick in May & I'm wondering how long the white stays white. :D

Right now, we're working on them following me to and from the barn & their run. They have been getting adventurous lately and don't want to stay on my shoulder/in my hands for the walk (unlike their pampered rooster who *loves* to be carried around everywhere). They really move when they hear that treat cup rattle!
Trimming the crest is a challenge. I have to have my hubby hold said birds. I take my time and cut the feathers that cover the eyes the most. (side of head) The GL bearded girl has those lovely black feathers under her eyes and that poses a whole other issue. I do my best to make them look rather dorky but they can see sooo much better. They don't freak out when you walk up to them. My WCB hen used to love being held until I trimmed her head. Now she sees where we go and wants to do the walking herself. Crazy birds. I don't recommend tying the crests because they can't groom the head as it is and you don't wants mites or other things making its home there.

My GL Hen had several white feathers in her crest but it was the biggest I'd ever seen! 5"!!! I was gonna breed her to a roo with great color but poor crest size but decised to get out of GL and sold her as a pet to a lady who keeps her in a modified DOLL HOUSE, with an 11 yr old Silkie!!!

Our SLP, Liberace, is quite the handsome fella! His kids aren't too bad looking either. :jumpy

Oh my goodness! Those chicks are adorable!

I will definitely share pics, if I can get any to hatch! I'm starting to get a little nervous that I'll botch it since I've never done this before.

Oh my goodness! Those chicks are adorable!

I will definitely share pics, if I can get any to hatch! I'm starting to get a little nervous that I'll botch it since I've never done this before.

Good luck with your hatching :fl Don't panic everyone here to help :hugs Looking forward to your pics :thumbsup

I've just hatched some more polish out 13/14 and have set another 21 eggs.

Anyone know the best polish for free ranging/ don't have as many feathers in their eyes??? Is there Even any???

I think Polish, much like my Silkies, are skittish whether they can see well while free-ranging or not. Skittishness/alertness seems to be a crested/bearded thing with chickens. My Ameraucana (my avatar) has a lot of extra winter fluff under and at the sides of her eyes and she's always skittish. But you know what? My crested/bearded/muffed breeds are more alert at free-ranging than my regular-feathered hens ever were! Here's a thought --> non-bearded polish will have less fluff around their face than the bearded varieties so at least won't have impeded vision on things below them? I never cut any feathers of my crested/bearded/muffed breeds and they have done very well free-ranging for 31/2 years. Of course I put out a lot of doghouses, benches, shelters, and canopies for them to snooze/hide under in the yard besides having the option to snooze in the safety of their coop as well. I space a shelter area about every 8 feet so they can run to a hiding place if the Cooper's Hawk lands in the yard (s/he visits whenever the Crows aren't around to chase it off). It hasn't been able to catch any of the hiding Mourning Doves either!

Back
Top Bottom