Polish with Bloody Crest

IndigoRaven

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
on a planet orbiting the sun
I have an aggressive, nine week old Polish pullet who ended up being pecked on the head enough that some of the feather shafts broke and now her crest is pretty bloody. We took her away from the other chickens since she keeps on flying at them and trying to fight them, then getting pecked on the head again. I'm not really quite sure what to do. How exactly would I clean the blood from her crest? What exactly should I do?

You can wipe the area clean and use some neosporium the one without pain reliever. Or you can use vetericyn wound spray being careful not to get into her eyes once the area is treated you can also use a blue kote or rooster booster Peck no more on the area. Rooster booster has tea tree in it for the wound and helps keep the others from pecking at it again. If the wound is bad I would separate her until she had a chance to heal. Hope this helps and good luck

I have had 2 polish hens get their heads pecked after their feathers were pulled out and I always use BluKote. It has to be re-applied every 2-3 days until the feathers are fully grown in.

Back
Top Bottom