Polish X Chicks

Before I let my white crested black polish roo cross with my mixed flock I desperately was looking of photos of chicks. It was hard to find!!

So I am attaching pics of the 3 chicks my broody is raising. One is an EE cross, Wellsummer, and I think the last is an OE cross.

Can you guess which is which??
I think I see a single comb on the first chick (looks black almost all over.) That one probably comes from the Welsummer mother.

The other two appear to have pea combs, which would be right if they have EE and OE mothers. One chick looks black, the other looks blue.

If Frankie (EE hen) has splash in her coloring, and if Darkness (OE hen) has blue in hers, then Frankie would be the mother of the lighter chick (blue), and Darkness would be the mother of the darker chick (shows black and yellow, will probably grow up black.)

If Frankie (EE hen) actually has the Dominant White gene, then I can't say which chick is hers, and Darkness (OE) could be the mother of either pea-comb chick.

Yes this looks like a Wellsummer. The photos I posted were of mine as a pullet. They have exceptionally large combs and waddles considering they are hens!!

I think I see a single comb on the first chick (looks black almost all over.) That one probably comes from the Welsummer mother.

The other two appear to have pea combs, which would be right if they have EE and OE mothers. One chick looks black, the other looks blue.

If Frankie (EE hen) has splash in her coloring, and if Darkness (OE hen) has blue in hers, then Frankie would be the mother of the lighter chick (blue), and Darkness would be the mother of the darker chick (shows black and yellow, will probably grow up black.)

If Frankie (EE hen) actually has the Dominant White gene, then I can't say which chick is hers, and Darkness (OE) could be the mother of either pea-comb chick.
To give you a hint that you can’t tell from the angle of the Darkness photo yes she has blue in her.

To give you a hint that you can’t tell from the angle of the Darkness photo yes she has blue in her.
I thought she looked like she had blue, but it's nice to have it confirmed. That means she could produce blue chicks and black chicks when mated with a black rooster.

I thought she looked like she had blue, but it's nice to have it confirmed. That means she could produce blue chicks and black chicks when mated with a black rooster.
Would have been very interested to see the egg of the broody hatch. She’s an olive Egger with blue for sure. The egg that hatched is my darkest brown but I do think she’s the same mix as Darkness. Anyways maybe next year for her.

Black chick Wellsummer
Blue chick Suspected OE Darkness
Speckled chick EE Frankie or Fae

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom