1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polishes, a Few Questions...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenchick12, Jan 4, 2016.

1. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Hi everyone!
    I will be doing chicken 4-H for the 7th year this year and it starts in 14 days! I am having a hard time trying to decide what kind of chicken to get for my project. I thought that a polish would be a good idea because they are good for exhibition. I am thinking about either a white polish or a silver polish. Which do you guys think would be better? I also need some good name suggestions, too.
    Thanks for your great advice!

~chickenchick

2. Dad of the coop

Dad of the coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Polish are a great choice for show. However, they are not the best for showmanship. Since their crest often blocks their eye site, which hinders them in the walking portion. Personally, I would go with the silver laced because they are easy to keep clean before and during the show.

3. chickenchick12

Jun 21, 2014
    Thanks! I am part of a low-standard 4-H club and in all of my experience I have never had to do a walking portion with my birds. I even competed at the Eastern Idaho State Fair and I didn't see it! I think that silver laced is an easy to clean choice, too. You have been a big help! Any ideas on what to name a polish?
    Again, thank you so much!

~chickenchick

4. chickenchick12

Jun 21, 2014
    The club that I am in is planning to order from a hatchery that has Silver Laced Polishes.[​IMG]I am going to get one if I can (sometimes the hatchery runs out before we get our order). Any tricks that I should know about making there "poofs" grow up right or cleaning or such. And I am still stuck on a name.
    Thanks for the help!

~chickenchick

5. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    do you mean a show name or pet name? are you going to order several and pick the one with the best lacing and crest?

6. chickenchick12

Jun 21, 2014
    Mostly a pet name. I need it to be appropriate for show, though. I was thinking about a name that have a Polish origin. But none of those names have really jumped out at me yet. My club is low-standard so I will be getting just one and crossing my fingers that it will be good quality. Also, I don't have the coop capacity to get more than one. But my sisters will also be getting some chicks so it will not be lonely. Thanks for the help!

~chickenchick

7. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by