Polishes, a Few Questions...

chickenchick12

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
Hi everyone!
I will be doing chicken 4-H for the 7th year this year and it starts in 14 days! I am having a hard time trying to decide what kind of chicken to get for my project. I thought that a polish would be a good idea because they are good for exhibition. I am thinking about either a white polish or a silver polish. Which do you guys think would be better? I also need some good name suggestions, too.
Thanks for your great advice!

~chickenchick

Polish are a great choice for show. However, they are not the best for showmanship. Since their crest often blocks their eye site, which hinders them in the walking portion. Personally, I would go with the silver laced because they are easy to keep clean before and during the show.

Thanks! I am part of a low-standard 4-H club and in all of my experience I have never had to do a walking portion with my birds. I even competed at the Eastern Idaho State Fair and I didn't see it! I think that silver laced is an easy to clean choice, too. You have been a big help! Any ideas on what to name a polish?
Again, thank you so much!

~chickenchick

The club that I am in is planning to order from a hatchery that has Silver Laced Polishes.
woot.gif
I am going to get one if I can (sometimes the hatchery runs out before we get our order). Any tricks that I should know about making there "poofs" grow up right or cleaning or such. And I am still stuck on a name.
Thanks for the help!

~chickenchick

Mostly a pet name. I need it to be appropriate for show, though. I was thinking about a name that have a Polish origin. But none of those names have really jumped out at me yet. My club is low-standard so I will be getting just one and crossing my fingers that it will be good quality. Also, I don't have the coop capacity to get more than one. But my sisters will also be getting some chicks so it will not be lonely. Thanks for the help!

~chickenchick

Back
Top Bottom