Political bumper stickers. Good idea or bad idea?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
A friend of mine gave me a bumper sticker the other day and wants me to stick it on my car. It isn't really crass or offensive but it definitely is a political jab. I don't want to say what it is because I don't want to spur a debate and make the thread about what it's not. Anyways, I am reluctant to put anything political on my car because it gets people so heated. Any of you guys have political bumper stickers? Do people remain respectful of your property? any horror stories? I'm leaning towards keeping the sticker off but I'm curious what others think.

Personally, I wouldn't. You never know what kind of rabid political crazies you're going to run into out there and unless you are fond of buffing out key marks (or worse) keeping a politically neutral car seems the safest bet.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't think I'd put it on.. I agree with you guys. 15 years ago it would have been no big deal but anymore we are so divided. It's sad. I think sooner or later we will realize this and adhere to the old saying, "United we stand, divided we fall." I only hope it's sooner than later.

What people find "offensive" today is totally absurd, the bar is so much lower than it used to be. People need to grow a set and not be offended because they don't agree. While my Pick-up cap rear window is littered with stickers,none which I find offensive but true to my thinking. From my DD's college to organizations and companies I support and the way I feel about a certain amendment of the Constitution. Funny I will get waves, handshakes and people who will glance over then turn away when I look back. I must post a picture later. I am NOT ashamed of how I think and feel, if someone is offended by that I don't know what to say. While a couple of them pick on a certain group, but it is a group that wants to inhibit my freedoms. There are many stickers I see that I don't agree with but don't get offended by them, even if they are derogatory to what I believe. I believe in freedom of speech and all the others that come with that. I am a guy who will let you do your thing and I will do mine.

Last edited:
I think it depends on whether or not you feel the message in the sticker has social value. Is there a point to putting it there? In some cases there is. If it is just making fun or a lowish blow or to push buttons then probably not. But, some ideas and thoughts benefit from visibility even if presented as something silly especially if those view are under-represented. How strongly do you feel about the message it sends and how much are you willing to own it? Is there an aspect of awareness that matters enough to willingly face potential negativity? I don't think it's a cut and dry yes or no in all cases.

Part of freedom of speech is the freedom to be offended.

edited for typo

Last edited:
"Part of (our) freedom of speech is the freedom to be offended."

That is a very deep line and well stated line.

The same right that each of us have in freedom of speech needs
to be respected when another person dares to disagree with what
you have said.

Not a good idea... it labels you. I automatically think the wrong things of people and am constantly correcting myself. It is right up there with all the red equal signs... just another form of division.

Back
Top Bottom