poll: are you legal or an outlaw?

eh... I guess I'm an outlaw. The city allows up to 12 hens, no roos, so I'm good there with my 4 hens. It says they must be no less than 40' to a neighboring residence. Yeah, right, there's barely 25' from residence to residence in this neighborhood. I can hear happy cackling coming from around the neighborhood, so I know there are other outlaws too. I've been told there are no chicken police here... but will wait to see.

I've had the coop designed so it can quickly be modified into a lovely aviary if push comes to shove. The codes specifically states:

6.12.040 Poultry--Defined. Wherever the term "poultry" is used it shall be construed to include
pigeons, chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and all other domestic or domesticated fowls other than household
pets. (Ord. 317; Ord. 987; February 16, 1982.)

6.12.050 Household pets--Defined. Wherever the term "household pets" is referred to herein it
shall be construed to include cats, dogs, canaries, parrots and other kindred animals and birds usually and
ordinarily kept as household pets. (Ord. 317, Sec. 2(c); June 2, 1943.)

6.12.120 Rabbits--Poultry--Limitation on keeping. It is hereby declared to be a nuisance and it shall
be unlawful to keep or permit to be kept, upon any premises in the City:
A. Any rabbits or poultry within forty feet of any dwelling on adjacent property;
B. More than 12 mature poultry or six mature rabbits;
C. Any crowing roosters, quacking ducks, geese, guinea fowl or peafowl, whatsoever. (Ord.
987; February 16, 1982.)

I figure my Silkies are infinitely quieter than would be an aviary full of parakeets. ~grin~

It remains to be seen. Our city allows it but our neighborhood has a vague convenient about pets. I guess we will find out if someone wants to make an issue of it. (sigh)

I was illegal for 2 years, and today I got busted. I'm gonna fight the good fight and work to get the ordinance changed, but in the meantime, we are losing 5 delightful gals and a source of fabulous nutrition.

I know. It's my own fault for proceeding from the beginning. (You reprimandy/law-loving-types, please don't lecture me. I feel bad enough already.
hide.gif
)

I can tell you it feels awful - never again will I try to do this under the radar.
hit.gif

You know, the legal info in this thread is good, but it wasn't enough to catch me back then. I learn the hard way, I guess. What gets me is the emotional attachment - not just to our pets, but to the lifestyle. I LOVED checking on the girls everyday, bringing them treats, thinking of new treats, improving the coop, the run, even cleaning out the litter! Building compost bins, using the poo in the garden, etc. It's a great, active, healthy lifestyle with a purpose. If I can save anyone from jumping in the deep end without the law on your side, that's what I would tell you, when you get caught, it will tear your heart up - not just for your pets, but even for yourself - for the loss of such wonderful, purposeful, healthy habits.

And you will get caught. Every neighbor next to me loved the chickies and the eggs, and the poo, etc. It's the know-it-all, busy body down the street who turned me in without ever having said a word to me. I've probably never talked to her ever since moving here 10 years ago. The ironic thing that I gathered from the animal control guy is that the straw bales are bothering her asthma. She blamed the chickens. The straw bales are my garden this year - I learned how to do it through our Community Ed. Next year, the run area is going to be the perfect place for even a bigger straw bale garden.
tongue.gif

Save yourself a lot of pain. Don't keep chickens until you can clearly do so legally.

slightly over the line. I'm allowed to have 6 hens, no roosters and my coop must be 15 feet from the property line. I have 7 hens (but I have a backup ready to take my extra if I get busted), no roosters and my coop is barely 15 feet, but my pen is closer.
hide.gif

So far so good with the neighbors, one used to have chickens and misses them, a couple little old ladies think that is the most normal thing about me
wink.png
and the neighbors behind popped over the fence and asked "no roosters"? I assured him that I only had hens. He replied, "good, when will you start getting eggs?" Biggest risk is that one of the sweet widows next door is quite elderly and I could end up with new neighbors...

I'm legal. I live in a rural area with farms and land around me. So Sorry msbee. I sympathize with you. They truly become your pets and you love each and everyone of them. I certainly hope you put up a good fight.

Back
Top Bottom