• 151-200

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I keep anywhere from 20-100 during the course of a year. All the same DP breed and variety. I hatch a lot, sell hatching eggs and chicks and butcher all the boys I'm not planning on using for breeding.
About 40 primary breeders is what I like to keep with lots of up and comers.
Number of primary roosters is usually at least 5. When I finish some new breeder pens, that may go up to 7-10.
Rather than just process extra males, this year I plan on making a fair number of capons.

21 to 30.
I've had as many as 115 as a teenager.
I got back into chickens in 2016.
I had a whopping 3.
Does not take long to go chickenholic.:)
Edit: I see most peeps are breaking down the numbers so when in chicken Rome.
15 faverolles hens
2 dominique hens
1 speckled sussex hen
1 favacauna
1 feckled fussex or saverolles
1 domirolles or favernique
1 faverolles rooster
1 Jerry Dafuq 1/2 faverolles, 1/2 surprise mystery breed rooster named J.J from neighbor's yard.
So 23.

Tell us how you really feel.🙃
EXACTLY! I lived in SC for 3 years. I was miserable for 3 YEARS, I couldn't get out of that hell hole fast enough! (And don't get me started on the fire ants!)

Last edited:
Super fun!!! Its winter here so I have less than 25. In the summer that number can go up to 80+...probably more this year as I'm getting better at raising our meat and feel like I'm ready to take on more.
How do your winters go? In my daydreams I live on PEI :lovebut I've never even been there. I just have had acquaintances from there who spoke so lovingly about its beauty.

I have 7 pullets, 6 hens, and one rooster. I would like to hatch out more chicks this year, but am waiting for the local poultry swap to re-open so I can sell my extras. It was closed down due to Covid risks. It's a monthly event and a lot of fun.
I went out just now and took photos. Can't get everyone in one shot...
1-18_.jpg

I had twenty-four at some point, but now I have a total of 15 chickens, 11 of them being the main flock and 4 of them raised by one of my broodies, my black Australorp Raven, in spring 2020. I have not integrated them into the main flock yet, mainly because although Raven loves hatching and raising babies, she basically quits being a mother after about a month or so of taking care of them. I am hoping to move them all together once the new coop is built. They are all hens, except for one. His name was Esme as a chick, but once he started crowing I renamed him Ezzy lol

I have 7 pullets, 6 hens, and one rooster. I would like to hatch out more chicks this year, but am waiting for the local poultry swap to re-open so I can sell my extras. It was closed down due to Covid risks. It's a monthly event and a lot of fun.
View attachment 2495791
AHHH!! Are those Appenzeller Spitzhaubens? I am getting one of those on Feb 16th! I can't wait!

How do your winters go? In my daydreams I live on PEI :lovebut I've never even been there. I just have had acquaintances from there who spoke so lovingly about its beauty.

This is our fourth winter here! It's fairly mild, surprisingly! It doesnt seem to get too cold but it's very damp and windy. For the chickens, I've learned small combs are ideal. Big single combs will be frost bitten but pea/rose/walnut combs do well!

View attachment 2495791
If I get some more chickens at some point, Appenzeller Spitzhaubens are definitely on the list! What is your experience with their personalities / temperament?

Back
Top Bottom