• 151-200

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Pics
Chicken Math... Last spring we said we only wanted 6 chickens... Then 1 died when she was a week old 🙁 so we replaced her with 3 more chickens to give us 8 🙂.
This year we decided we wanted 4 more chickens (3 girls and 1 boy)for a total of 12 chickens. But the minimum order was 6 chickens = 14 chickens. Then the hatchery said "Do you want a free mystery 🐣?" so of course I checked yes! and in April we will have 15 chickens😃

Chicken Math... Last spring we said we only wanted 6 chickens... Then 1 died when she was a week old 🙁 so we replaced her with 3 more chickens to give us 8 🙂.
This year we decided we wanted 4 more chickens (3 girls and 1 boy)for a total of 12 chickens. But the minimum order was 6 chickens = 14 chickens. Then the hatchery said "Do you want a free mystery 🐣?" so of course I checked yes! and in April we will have 15 chickens😃
Hahah, Yes! You're learning about chicken math very quickly I see :lau I have climate restrictions (non-heated coop) so I have never been able to take them up on the mystery chick offer. Jealous! Also - remember that a straight-run mystery chick 99% of the time means mystery boy!

I’m not sure, never had a buff Orpington rooster. I’ve found my old English game bantam rooster to be my nicest, both to people and his girls.
my Buffs let us pick the up and pet them. My Bantam Rooster is a no. The others are all very iffy. And the Americanas are the worst. Not sure I"ll get them again. The Americanas and the Buffs I got together so they were in the "nursery" together. The temperament difference was huge even then.

my Buffs let us pick the up and pet them. My Bantam Rooster is a no. The others are all very iffy. And the Americanas are the worst. Not sure I"ll get them again. The Americanas and the Buffs I got together so they were in the "nursery" together. The temperament difference was huge even then.
My female buff orpingtons. let me pick them up. My silkie rooster, and my EE rooster, won't let anyone touch them.

My female buffs let me pick them up. My silkie rooster, and my EE rooster, won't let anyone touch them.
My orpingtons let me pick them up and one lavender is a lap sitter (my only one). My white french marans thinks that picking her up means CERTAIN DEATH. Everyone else is in between.

I am always curious of people's flock sizes! On average - how many chickens do you keep?

Comment down below about your number of roosters vs hens!

Comment down below on how many meat birds you cycle through in a given year!

Are you actively seeking to increase or reduce your number?

inquiring minds want to know!
I have 4 chicken, a Barred Plymouth, Rhode island red, Blue easter egger and a Black copper maran. My Rhode island has started laying already and has given me an egg a day for the last two weeks.
I do not have a rooster, not allowed in city limits (NYC). But when I retire my plan is to have a lot more chickens and a rooster as well as a pig, goats, and a cow to go with my farm. Actually looking for a nice place to retire to not too cold not too hot, South Carolina seems to be the best so far for its soil for gardening and its weather.

I have 4 chicken, a Barred Plymouth, Rhode island red, Blue easter egger and a Black copper maran. My Rhode island has started laying already and has given me an egg a day for the last two weeks.
I do not have a rooster, not allowed in city limits (NYC). But when I retire my plan is to have a lot more chickens and a rooster as well as a pig, goats, and a cow to go with my farm. Actually looking for a nice place to retire to not too cold not too hot, South Carolina seems to be the best so far for its soil for gardening and its weather.
"not too hot" and SC do NOT belong in the same sentance! Not to mention God AWFUL humdity! (The humidity is worse than the heat alone!)

"not too hot" and SC do NOT belong in the same sentance! Not to mention God AWFUL humdity! (The humidity is worse than the heat alone!)

I'm a Yankee transplant in the Sandhills of North Carolina. I never thought I'd ever utter the words "It's not too horribly hot today, only 90." But I have indeed reached the point where an afternoon of high of 90 is a "cool" day to me from late May to mid-September.

Back
Top Bottom