Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Pics
10 pullets and 1 cockerel.

Last spring hubs decided to get chickens. I said 6. Went to store and they ran out of the breeds we wanted except for BO so I grabbed those and went to next store to get the other 4. Turns out that store wouldn't sell just 4 so ended up leaving with 6 which brought us to 8 total.
Not gonna lie but the whole "chicken math" thing made me laugh! Who on earth would want more? I didn't even want 8!
Well, now we have 11 and hubs is the one saying "chicken math? Seriously??" 😂😂
I absolutely love my mixed flock of girls🥰 and I'm really hoping the cockerel works out. Now I cannot let another broody hatch out because I definitely cannot get more!! Right? Well.....maybe just another 1 or 2 won't hurt I guess😁

I am always curious of people's flock sizes! On average - how many chickens do you keep?

Comment down below about your number of roosters vs hens!

Comment down below on how many meat birds you cycle through in a given year!

Are you actively seeking to increase or reduce your number?

inquiring minds want to know!

I have 37 chickens. 4 roosters the rest hens. They live in 2 coops and 3 tractors.

Couldn't vote as it's set for only one check. I keep two sizes.
Cull and sell to a winter size of 11-20.
Cull for final breeders in spring to hatch and hatch, selling off smaller hatchlings maintaining a summer-fall flock size nearing 50.
Cull and sell to get back to winter size consisting of 3 to 4 cockerels/cocks.

Couldn't vote as it's set for only one check. I keep two sizes.
Cull and sell to a winter size of 11-20.
Cull for final breeders in spring to hatch and hatch, selling off smaller hatchlings maintaining a summer-fall flock size nearing 50.
Cull and sell to get back to winter size consisting of 3 to 4 cockerels/cocks.
Sorry about that! I am not sure if I can edit the poll?

What are your big plans?!
This year my flock will grow bigger than ever! I need more layers, and I want to start breeding one or two new breeds. Then I need to hatch out more silkies for next year, and of course, I always need a couple pets :D

I also want to raise lots of chicks to the age of six weeks then sell them.

The plan was to get turkeys for the first time this year, but I think I'll have to wait on that.

Back
Top Bottom