Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 151-200

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Do you let them brood and hatch? What do you do with the cockerels?

Generally no, we just eat the eggs. We have a rooster because he brings another element to the flock - for example we had trouble with a very dominant hen picking on others when we had no roo, but that stopped the moment he turned up. He keeps them all in order! 6 of our hens are actually homebred (by a different roo) but that was an accident after a hen disappeared (we assumed eaten by a fox) but was on eggs in the hedge. The cockerels from that brood went to a friend who eventually put them in the pot.

Currently have 28 chickens- 3 being roosters. They are all egg producers and breeders, as the thrill of experimenting with cross-breeding for colors, genetics, and production is of interest to me. There is nothing like fresh eggs that you can rely on, food you can trust. 🙂
Out of the 28 birds (there being a total of 5 separate flocks), eight are cross-bred.
The pure-bred hens consist of the following breeds:

Orpington (1)
Cochin (5)
Partridge Rock (4)
Brahma (2) - They are my main breeder, though, so each cross of mine has their genetics.
Faverolle (3)
Australorp (1)
Sussex (2)
Dominique (2)

All of my roosters are currently mixed. I would prefer to have at least 1 pure-bred rooster, to add some fresh lineage, but I don't need anymore roosters, until Springtime, when I choose my breeders and hope for more egg layers to hatch.
We began in 2010 with raising Guineas and chickens, but thy Guineas have all passed from age. I'd love to add some keets in the future, as they're different, and left a good impression on us. Many people assume they're a stupid bird, but I find them to be intelligent. 😋

Currently have 28 chickens- 3 being roosters. They are all egg producers and breeders, as the thrill of experimenting with cross-breeding for colors, genetics, and production is of interest to me. There is nothing like fresh eggs that you can rely on, food you can trust. 🙂
Out of the 28 birds (there being a total of 5 separate flocks), eight are cross-bred.
The pure-bred hens consist of the following breeds:

Orpington (1)
Cochin (5)
Partridge Rock (4)
Brahma (2) - They are my main breeder, though, so each cross of mine has their genetics.
Faverolle (3)
Australorp (1)
Sussex (2)
Dominique (2)

All of my roosters are currently mixed. I would prefer to have at least 1 pure-bred rooster, to add some fresh lineage, but I don't need anymore roosters, until Springtime, when I choose my breeders and hope for more egg layers to hatch.
We began in 2010 with raising Guineas and chickens, but thy Guineas have all passed from age. I'd love to add some keets in the future, as they're different, and left a good impression on us. Many people assume they're a stupid bird, but I find them to be intelligent. 😋
Love it! such variety! I have never gotten into guineas. I am interested in them, but they still seem like little aliens to me :lau

I have 8 pullets and 2 bantam cockerels
1 black australorp
1 Austra white
4 favaucanas
1 black jersey giant
1 easter egger

Cockerels:
1 old english game bantam
1 Dutch bantam (was supposed to be a pullet)

Love it! such variety! I have never gotten into guineas. I am interested in them, but they still seem like little aliens to me :lau

Well, I would certainly recommend them! That's accurate, too! :lau Guineas are definitely 'unique'... as they appear to have time-traveled directly from Jurassic times... 😂

But everything about them is different. They have hair on their head, and skin that's very soft. They have expressive eyes, and are full of character that really can differ from another. Sometimes I think it's easier to picture their persona as a human than it is chickens!

I currently have 6 hens and 6 pullets
Breeds include:
Easter Egger
Delaware
buff Orpington
silver laced Wyandotte
black sexlink
gold sexlink

My pullets:
cuckoo maran
Welsummer
olive egger