Poll: How many here have actually had bumblefoot in their poultry?

How many here have actually had bumblefoot in their poultry?

• Had it -- couldn't successfully treat

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Had it -- have successfully treated in at least one bird

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • Never had it

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • What is bumblefoot?

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
On the wetness, after dealing with bandages for a year :hitI got pretty good at it.
For bad ones I started using the DuoDerm bandages, cut to cover the lesion with a good edge around it. It sticks (sometimes it doesn't stick immediately depending on what you put on the foot ointment wise- but when you unwrap you will have to peel this off the foot). I have used it over wounds packed with sugardine and it works well for that too. Sugardine is a mixture of plain white sugar and betadine that makes a good wound poultice, you can google it if you want to know more-people with horses are probably familiar with it. Maybe. I'll attach a link below to an entertaining article on it. I put the DuoDerm patch on and then wrap with co wrap, it keeps the area of the lesion very clean and dry. It also helps keep the wound bed moist for healing. They come in a pack of 5, about 4 inches square and you can cut to the size you need, so you can get quite a few out of each box. I keep them on hand now. For my roo they work so much better than gauze or telfa pads. If you can't find them locally then Amazon has them:
https://www.amazon.com/ConvaTec-Duo...qid=1597521295&sprefix=DuoDerm,aps,223&sr=8-2
Sugardine:
https://www.americanfarriers.com/ar...-mess-that-works-when-treating-wound-injuries

My daughter treats bumblefoot with great success! And I am grateful. I will send her this link and have her explain how she does it.

move been pretty successful in treating several cases, I’m my moms go to when injuries happen and Ihave tried several different ways to treat it and it basically comes back to keeping the dressing clean and checking on them toes daily. Just treated my first duck case of bumblefoot, we shall see if my hen tricks work on the ducks

Im curious, what do you guys think are the three main husbandry areas that contribute to chronic bumblefoot in a flock?? It seems like in the long term perhaps husbandry adjustments rather than or paired with continued aggressive treatment may be effective?

I see soooo many posts about how to treat bumblefoot, but very few, if any, that follow up with whether or not treatment was successful. I have to wonder how many folks are simply giving advice because they've read it elsewhere, if it's actually worked, etc.. Feel free to comment!

Here's my story:
I have two hens that have bumblefoot and I've tried many separate measures, including removal and expensive vet visits, and at bests it *nearly* went away on one hen, but is growing again, and soaking daily in Tricide-Neo but to no avail. I have not tried at home removal yet, but the avian vet stated removal surgery is usually ineffective. I will say in the hen's case where (a different) vet removed it surgically, it came back with a vengeance. But now the poor thing spends all day standing on one leg so I am going to give it yet another attempt. The first hen has always acted unaffected, but her bumble has always been less severe.

I think I'm going to "quadrouple down" on both hens trying all the treatments at once. 1) oral antibiotics 2) Adding BDM to their feed (a low-dose antibiotic) 3) soaking and removing with epson salts and 4) wraping the foot daily with liberal amounts of silver sulfadiazine. I want to do all of these for a week on both hens.

Both of my female ducks have nasty bumbles.... I have attempted a number of times to treat it. They are not the most easy going ducks. But they seem unaffected by it. No limping or acting sick in anyway. They cross out nearly two acres a hundred times a day without avail..... I probably would y even have known to look for it but I always do a quick check on everyone. She was not very happy when I started to mess with it. Separation- soaking- wrapping. At this point I am leaving well enough alone. Let nature run it’s course. If and when it bothers them I will reapproach the subject. It’s annoying and ugly but nearly impossible to cure

I think you can reduce the risk, but not eliminate it. It's just too easy to get a scratch or cut or splinter, no matter how careful you are. I keep things as clean as I can, keep roosts in good condition to avoid injuries, keep roosts to a height that doesn't make them jump too far, keep the run as clear of debris as I can. But they have an outdoor area that is fenced but open, so impossible to always remove anything that might possibly cause a tiny injury. I do foot checks regularly, to hopefully always catch them early on, rather than deal with big ones that have had lots of time to get nasty.

Thank you for your insight.
I think you can reduce the risk, but not eliminate it. It's just too easy to get a scratch or cut or splinter, no matter how careful you are. I keep things as clean as I can, keep roosts in good condition to avoid injuries, keep roosts to a height that doesn't make them jump too far, keep the run as clear of debris as I can. But they have an outdoor area that is fenced but open, so impossible to always remove anything that might possibly cause a tiny injury. I do foot checks regularly, to hopefully always catch them early on, rather than deal with big ones that have had lots of time to get nasty.

Im curious, what do you guys think are the three main husbandry areas that contribute to chronic bumblefoot in a flock?? It seems like in the long term perhaps husbandry adjustments rather than or paired with continued aggressive treatment may be effective?
Use sandpaper to sand roosts free from burrs and splinters. Lower roosts. If you have pine cones in your yard, rake and remove them.

I originally read that 2x4s on their side are good for perches. I set up the hen house and run that way. But my hen currently has an awful case of bumble foot.
I'm planning on giving her a natural perch as well, and sanitizing the 2x4 perches.

I read a post once where a young teen with chickens sprays down the henhouse daily with a bleach solution. She seemed to think that was normal. Who else does disinfection often, and how?

Sorry. Phone is being buggy. There were no good or bad results.
Then i treated a diff. case, all seems fine. Was very lightweight scab.
I treated a third case, and this one i half treated and never got back to. Its been about two weeks and it's horrible, swollen ball showing on top of foot. She's not limping and is completely ignoring it. But i need to tend to it. I soaked it yesterday. And need to soak and treat for real this time. Shes a heavy breed. Buff orp/austrolorp.
Current bumblefoot category?

Back
Top Bottom