Poll Time: Cool the Coop & Chickens

What do you do/use to help keep things cool?

• Total voters
Y'all try not to laugh too hard at my redneck ac for the girls. Cinder blocks, wetted down, ice blocks tucked in the holes. Girls sit next to or on top of the cinder block; they're angled so whatever breeze happens blows through the holes. I've added another cinder since this pic.
IMG_2023-06-23-13-23-22-069~2.jpg

At one time, I thought the ventilation in my coop was enough. BUT... the birds were still very hot, so I put a fan in the loft area. It draws air from the front of the coop (which is a chain link gate)... and it fans the chickens, then the air goes out the back of the coop.

I also supplement with electrolytes and lots of shade around the farm.

Don

Y'all try not to laugh too hard at my redneck ac for the girls. Cinder blocks, wetted down, ice blocks tucked in the holes. Girls sit next to or on top of the cinder block; they're angled so whatever breeze happens blows through the holes. I've added another cinder since this pic.
View attachment 3556140
Great idea! I’m gonna try this!! 👏🏻

View attachment 3536705
It's that time of year here in my area....hot time.

How do you help keep your coop and birds cool for the summer time heat?
Vote in the poll above. If you want an option added just say so and I will add it.

Some ideas:

How to Keep Chickens Cool in the Summer

A Guide to Keeping Chickens Cool in the Summer Source Summer can be a difficult time for keeping chickens, who come with their own year-round down coat. Prolonged high temperatures can cause...
I live in Yuma az so when it gets hot it’s really hot I have purchased a portable swamp cooler for the chicken coop because we are expecting 111 degrees in a few days so that means evening time it will be around 93-95 and very dry my chickens free range all day so I use misters and shallow trays with water all around the yard I also freeze watermelon and other fruits they like in cupcakes tins ,I also freeze a bowl of chicken feed that I give to them around 3 or 4 in the afternoon since that’s the hottest time of the day . I also have a bunch of those blue reusable hard plastic packs that you put in coolers instead of ice to keep your cooler cold my chickens love to stand on them when they are really hot and need to cool down so far I haven’t lost any to the heat in the past 4 years 🤞. Oh I also wet down the yard in the morning and the roof of the chicken coop .

i freeze ice blocks and just dump them into the run. they lay around the ice block or stand on it. as it melts throughout the day, it creates a mud puddle when the ice is gone, and then they stand around in that. And no bottle or container to clean before putting back in freezer, which was a chore i just didn’t have time for every day!

i freeze ice blocks and just dump them into the run. they lay around the ice block or stand on it. as it melts throughout the day, it creates a mud puddle when the ice is gone, and then they stand around in that. And no bottle or container to clean before putting back in freezer, which was a chore i just didn’t have time for every day!
What do you use to hold the water to freeze it? How do you make the block?

Back
Top Bottom