Polycarbonate Coop Roofing question

Yes...since I live in such a hot humid area I'm hoping I can do without those so as to allow more ventilation. Do you think they would hold up structurally just attached to purlins?
Did you check to see if that brand offers them vented? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Last edited:
Looks like he also screwed at low spot rather than high spot on panel.

It will work, for a time. It will not work as long as it should.
Will it fail because the gasket on the screw won't be able to keep pooled water out of the hole, or for some other reason? I would have just assumed it was correct to screw through the low part, but I'm not savvy on this stuff at all. Hence the ignorant question. :rolleyes:

It is better to put the fasteners through the high part because the water is channeled through the low part. It has gaskets on the fasteners (I assume because ondura does) that help some but are designed for mostly top down water, not horizontal running water. There is some protection from water getting in due to user error in putting the fasteners in, too.

Home Depot finally got the vertical closures in!!! Roof (I sure pray) will go on this week!
My question now as I'm thinking through so many scenarios:
I had NOT planned on using any type of
material between the horizontal pieces
and the roof boards.
Will there be a possibility of leaking through the roof into the coop if I don't put anything underneath the roofing itself?

I'm thinking it shouldn't but I sure hate to get this far and not have a dry coop!!!

This video at 21:45 shows how he didn't use the vertical or horizontal closure strips...is that 1x3 he is attaching the roofing to...I believe? Looks like he also screwed at low spot rather than high spot on panel. Doesn't look like he used flashing or anything.
I already have the Suntop panels here and no way of takin them back as they are 12' long.
I just want to go about installing them so there are no leaks and plenty ventilation for winter through the eaves and the monitor roofing section.
Thanks for the video. I like the way it looks.

I wouldn't compromise the structural soundness of the roof because of the tiny amount of ventilation you'd get in those little gaps. Coops need way more ventilation than that, especially if you live in a hot, humid climate. Those gaps won't make much of a difference. But they support the corrugation of the panels and will extend the life of the roof. Plan on adding lots of actual ventilation (large open areas protected by hardware cloth) and don't worry about the closure strip spaces.

If you use closure strips to secure both ends of each panel, the middle will probably be fine just being drilled into the purlins. But I'm not a pro so can't say for sure if that's a good or a bad idea. The closure strips are easy to cut, so, just to be safe, you can cut a small section to insert and drill through where the panels attach to the purlins. They are not expensive either, so won't add too much to the total cost of the roof. Each strip is about a dollar (they come in packs of 6).
What about the sun coming on with the polycarbonate, won't it get to hot ?

What about the sun coming in? Will the polycarbonate be hotter than the metal ?
I live in middle Tennessee so our summers are scorchers...my run and coop are all wrapped in ½" hardware cloth. Because our summers are so hot and humid my (all bantams) chickens actually sleep 50° and up nights on their porch. The porch is attached to the back side of the coop within the run.
I only put them inside the coop and shut the coop whenever it is colder at night.
The coop is the only portion that has the Polycarbonate Roofing. The run has metal roofing.
The things I have noticed between the two types of roofing is condensation for the most part.
The metal roofing is always condensation whereas the Polycarbonate Roofing does not.
Because I don't lock my chickens in the coop on hotter nights I've never checked to see about a temp change within their on warmer nights.

Back
Top Bottom