Pompom Duck has her eyes infected

That's ridiculous. A black duck is a black duck. A white duck is a white duck. They are all duck-Americans (given where they live). Can't we all just get along?
I can get along with almost everybody!
Just being allergic to ignorance and narrow mindedness…
But there are some folks there and here that seem to live in a brittle world of their own where any other opinions will be cancelled. ❄
One day, after they woke up they will discover that they're very lonely.
Being swamped with work is not the only reason why i have limited my presence here. People get offended by pictures of finger pointing rubber-ducks. ❄

Yesterday i was identified as a Brit… 🤷🏻‍♀️
Until i turned on se havy germaan aacsent! 🤣
When my kids were little, we went to the zoo. My younger son (he was probably 5 or 6 at the time) overheard a woman nearby and said to her, "Are you Australian?" I was super embarrassed, and I think she could sense that, so she replied, "No, my dear. I'm British. Australians are just a bunch of convicts."

We all cracked up. She was joking, of course, but it was hilarious.

An exciting new development with the »hay-fever« here:

I pulled down the remaining hay bales from their storage under the roof yesterday, so that they will be exposed more to the elements, especially to the wind with the intention to weather down the allergens…
I was sneezing, coughing and felt bad yesterday evening.
And today the white in my eyes is red, burns and my eyes are watery.
Beware of the hay!
Not sure what to do now, i need to add some bedding daily and i'm down to ¾ of my last straw bale. 🤷🏻‍♀️

When my kids were little, we went to the zoo. My younger son (he was probably 5 or 6 at the time) overheard a woman nearby and said to her, "Are you Australian?" I was super embarrassed, and I think she could sense that, so she replied, "No, my dear. I'm British. Australians are just a bunch of convicts."

We all cracked up. She was joking, of course, but it was hilarious.
Don't you ever say that to any Aussie! - They get really mad at you!
It is an inconvenient truth that Australia started as a penal-colony of the British empire, so the majority of the Aussies can trace their family roots back to some "criminal".
Where "criminal" in this case often meant that the convicts had a controversial opinion that wouldn't suit the elite in GB at that time...

Don't you ever say that to any Aussie! - They get really mad at you!
It is an inconvenient truth that Australia started as a penal-colony of the British empire, so the majority of the Aussies can trace their family roots back to some "criminal".
Where "criminal" in this case often meant that the convicts had a controversial opinion that wouldn't suit the elite in GB at that time...
Oh, I know. What she said was inappropriate, but it was a funny response to a 5 year old.

How is Pompom Duck (and company) doing now with the hay removed? Any way of 'airing it out' to get rid of some of the dust? Sounds like a bad batch, and I wouldn't be buying from that supplier again. I have my own Grass Pusher over here who is fantastic, but I think Ontario is too far a drive for you. ;)

Pompom Duck is doing much better, her left eye - the side where she has her crest - is still swollen and she keeps it closed, but she eats and drinks and jumps into the pond, so i assume she is through. - And her left eye has always been weak, so she relies more on her right eye.

Naughtius Maximus's left eye is completely crusted over, but i cannot get a hold on him. Maybe he has psycho-senses (yes he is a psycho-drake!) or he smells me, idk.
He really doesn't care about his eye, today spring was in the air here and the drakes were either fighting with each other or ducking. He ducked a lot…

The real issue is the female runner duck. Today i came into the duck-house to collect the eggs and do house-keeping and she was lying in one corner with both eyes swollen shut.
Can ducks have fever? Because she felt hot when i picked her up. When i picked her up she screamed so loud that the glass at the neighbors house's windows shattered and he lives a mile away…
She bit me and was fighting like a lioness, so there is still some strength in that bird, but her eyes looked just terrible. I can't buy any eye-drops with antibiotics without a prescription from a vet here, only ointment is available. - So i use what i have, the triple antibiotic from $🌳. It contains Bacitracin, Neomycin and Polymyxin. Carefully rubbed it around her eyes through the feathers onto her skin. She also has a wound on the left side of her head, it doesn't look like from a drake, more like a puncture. She may has hit something.
I held her on my lap and she drank plenty of water but wouldn't eat and wanted to get away from me, so i brought her back to the duck-house and set her in a nest in a safe spot and walled her off a bit with fresh straw.
If she makes it through the night, the other neighbor's windows will shatter tomorrow morning and i will apply another round of triple antibiotics to her head.
Repeat in the afternoon…

How is Pompom Duck (and company) doing now with the hay removed? Any way of 'airing it out' to get rid of some of the dust? Sounds like a bad batch, and I wouldn't be buying from that supplier again. I have my own Grass Pusher over here who is fantastic, but I think Ontario is too far a drive for you. ;)
I could not remove the hay from the duck-house, it has formed a thick mattress together with the straw, leaves and the duck-poop that can only be removed all together by chaining it to an aircraft carrier and order »full ahead«. - Or by using a Phaser gun from StarTrek…

But after spraying the bedding down with vinegar twice, there is no smell of ammonia in the whole duck house anymore and i assume any allergens have been knocked down by the fine mist too.

Yeah, i am not sure if i will buy hay from myself again! 😆

Something different must have been growing on my pasture last year?
Or i hayed too late when all the grass was already in full bloom?
Or it has nothing to do with the hay at all and the Mallards have introduced a virus?
Or it was just bad luck?

Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom