Pond for ducks

thats a nice pond! we have a 5 acre lake they will get to swim in when I let them. im going to have to train them to come to my call so they dont stay out there. The pond I am building is going to be 3 ft deep, and 8 by 8 i think.
big_smile.png
its going to be for the days when i dont let them go to the lake.
I raised my ducks from 3 days old and they come running when they hear my voice-even if I'm not calling them! When they were old enough for treats I started giving them dried mealworms when they would come to me-and it still works! At dusk they actually come looking for me to puyt them to bed and if they can't find me will go stand in front of their house and even go in without me when it's dark and I am not around!

A 3 ft deep and 8x8 pond sounds great!

What breed are you getting?

Last edited:
I would go for the ones with more gallons.... I know this makes them much more expensive because I built two ponds from MacCourt where I used to live. One was 125 gallons, the other was 275 gallons. They were for fish, but I later got chickens and ducks.

The ducks loved the ponds. With my experience, 8 - 10 ducks would definitely appreciate the larger pond.

I now have a 300 gallon stock tank and am planning on having a pond built, using wood to build the frame and lining it with the flexible pond liner. I have two geese and 25 ducks, so this will be 10 feet wise and 15 feet long, two feet deep. (One foot buried, one foot above grade.)

The rigid pond liners are usually 18 inches deep.
25 ducks! Love it! I have 4 and if all goes as planned, they will have some ducklings in the spring and increase our flock!

Yes. My stock tank is poly-all that stuff that means plastic. Really tough, UV protected, with a drain st the bottom of the side. I ordered it from a company on the East coast and paid for shipping by truck to the West coast. (Uh, yeah, I love my ducks!). Two feet deep is even deep enough for my Toulouse geese to go bottom's up; the ducks can submarine swim in circles or across the tank.

Sorry for the delay-had a last minute business call.

Love your Annie! Mine are 5, 6, and 7 yrs old. Leilani, Maui and Kona.

I had pekin ducks first, decided to go with the Rouen ducks because they also cannot fly because of their size but have the coloring of a mallard which helps to camoflague them. The trick to freindly ducks is to handle them often when they are young. I probably played with them 3-4 times a day at a minimum!

Back
Top Bottom