Pond pump question.

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
Hey guys! Hope your all well. I have a question. Is there anything out there (in terms of a pump set up) where you could put a hose into the water, the pump in the middle, and then pumps the water out another hose? I hope that makes sense. Something like this.

POND(with hose in sucking out the water)______PUMP______HOSE BLOWING THE WATER OUT.

I hope I have explained it well, any help would be great, many thanks guys.
big_smile.png

When i set up my pond i went to Lowe's and bought A pump that pump 120 gallons per hour and it is set up that you just drop the pump into the water and there is a hose that is attached to the pump in the water that pumps the water out of the pond. If i want to empty it then i turn it on and point the hose out of the pond but other than that i have it hooked up to a filter that goes right back into the pond.

Most dirty water pumps are designed to sit in the water. I've not heard of one that sits outside in the air. If you are not able or don't want to have the pump itself in the water vessel you are trying to drain then the best thing to do is get a tall-ish, deep plastic tub and locate it a few yards away from your pond. This is your sump. Connect the pond to the sump with polypipe or drain pipe (with a valve/tap in the pipe so you can turn the water flow on and off) and put the pump in the sump. That way you can pump out the pond without having a pump in the actual pond. If your sump is smaller in capacity than you pond its important that you don't fill it too fast for the pump to keep up. I drain two ponds to a sump using 19mm poly pipe and the pump keeps up with that. My combined pond capacity is 120 liters and the sump is about 75 litres in capacity. (There are about 4 litres in a gallon).

I have a dirty water pump, but it doesnt fully empty the pond and leaves the worst of the dirty water in the pond. I was thinking my idea so you could get the hose and as it was sucking the water out you could sort of vacuum around at the same time and get all the silt and stuff out of the bottom. Its hard to explain what I mean so I hope you understand. Many thanks for your replys

Ah, yes, I get it
smile.png

I have a drain in the bottom and lift up the end of the pond to encourage the last of the water out the drain hole (into the sump). I hose gently until the mucky water is gone.

I can see what you are after though....

There must be something that you can use to suck out the water, excluding syphoning, as that does not end in a good way!
lau.gif

70%cocoa :

Well, you could get a pond vacuum. But they are expensive, I'd guess. Here's an example (Aussie website but I'm sure they're available over your way!) http://www.pondsupplies.com.au/pondshop/oase-pondovac-4-electric-pond-vacuum.html

70%cocoa, they look pretty good but super expensive. I have a new idea though, an idea that will make me millions should it work! Im plumbing it all up tomorrow and will be keeping people updated in my other thread. Thank you for trying to help me out
hugs.gif

The link to my other thread for you .

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565595

Back
Top Bottom