Poo issues with chicks - increase dose of corid? (photos)

Westmarch

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
We have a group of six baby chicks, about two weeks old, and we've noticed a few abnormal droppings. One of them is producing a somewhat wet poo, and another seems to be producing runny, bubbly diarrhea. When we first started noticing the repeated abnormal poopers (five days ago) we decided to dose them with Corid — we've been giving them the moderate outbreak dose of 1 teaspoon per gallon in their water (we give them unmedicated feed). The original chick who was having foamy poops seems to have improved, but we have now noticed another chick who seems to be having diarrhea.

We've had them on Corid for five days. Since we apparently have another chick who's having problems, should we bump them up to "severe outbreak" dose and keep them on Corid for another two days, or longer?

We also just noticed a few poops that appeared to have a pink tinge. Does this look like blood, or maybe intestinal lining? I tried to take a picture, but it might be hard to tell in the lighting.

This is our first batch of chicks, so thanks in advance for your wisdom! :)

Last edited:
The moderate outbreak dose is 3/4 teaspoon powder or 1 teaspoon liquid. Severe outbreak is twice that.

-Kathy

Apologies, Kathy, I made an error in my post. We are doing the moderate dose of 1 tsp/gallon (of the liquid), but I am mixing it up in half gallon batches with half a teaspoon of Corid, so I mis-typed.

Back
Top Bottom