poo on the vent...... what do I do, and how??

bmdakk

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
I have 2 hens that have red poo covered vent areas, and are loosing some feathers. I read an article on this that it was common, My question is how do I clean it up , Just a bath or what? Thanks in advance,Im kinda new to all this.

no expert, but red to me indicates blood? Indicates maybe coccidiosis?? I would bath their butts, clean up the butts and start them on corid.

Just clean it off or trim feathers if it is too cold to wash their vents. The poo could have irritated them or flies can bite them. There is always a danger of them getting fly strike and having maggots infest the vent, so it's a good idea to keep them fairly cleaned off. Some chickens just have too much fuzz for the poo to fall off, and I trim a few of my hens occasionally. Vent gleet may also be a problem if there is redness with patches, oozing liquid poo, and a bad smell. This is a fungal infection that can be treated with Nustock cream or Miconozole to the cleaned vent, and probiotics orally.

Of course if you meant red poo, as in bloody, I would treat for coccidiosis.

Last edited:
My bad, No blood, just red irritation. I soaked them ( one at a time) and plucked off the dried poo, They look much better, although it wore them out. I have separated them from the res of the run and will watch and see. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom