Prolapsed vent

Kelbel42

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
I have a Braham that prolasped her vent trying to lay her first egg. We were able to get the egg out and push her vent back in. She has been housed in doors/dark place the last two days and been doing twice a day Epsom salt bath and using blue kote spray after. We also put undies on her to help keep it "in". She still is trying to poo out her vent. It's only day 2 but hoping it's not nerotic or something. Hoping someone can tell me if there anything else I can go to help her? Or more of a waiting game to see if it heals. She is still eating and drinking fine.

Here is attached vent that she is still trying to poo out. It doesn't seem like actual poo as it I'd attached.

Sorry a little graphic vent pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_191304.jpg
    IMG_20230830_191304.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20230830_191258.jpg
    IMG_20230830_191258.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 22
Unfortunately this does look to be necrotic, as the skin has turned grey. There is one thing you can do if you have access to a vet who treats chickens, which is to have them stitch a sutre around the vent which may help to stop the vent from falling out. However, this isn't guaranteed to work if the prolapse is too severe or if her body rejects the organ. I had a chicken die earlier this year from this. Did everything we could, but couldn't save her. It's up to you whether you think the sutre is worth it. I'm deeply sorry. It's apparently possible for chickens to bounce back from this, but it's unlikely.

Unfortunately this does look to be necrotic, as the skin has turned grey. There is one thing you can do if you have access to a vet who treats chickens, which is to have them stitch a sutre around the vent which may help to stop the vent from falling out. However, this isn't guaranteed to work if the prolapse is too severe or if her body rejects the organ. I had a chicken die earlier this year from this. Did everything we could, but couldn't save her. It's up to you whether you think the sutre is worth it. I'm deeply sorry. It's apparently possible for chickens to bounce back from this, but it's unlikely.
Thank you for the response. Sorry about your chicken as well. We won't do suturing because we don't have a good small animal vet here. Hopefully we can keep her comfortable and let her pass naturally

Try to keep it moist and slather with hydrocortisone to reduce the swelling.

Is you Brahma pullet obese? Fat pads/accumulated fat in the lower abdomen can make them more prone to prolapse.

I hope she recovers.

I've read that haemorrhoid cream also helps to shrink the tissues, but not sure how advisable that is if she has necrotic tissue.

Wishing you/her all the best.

I have a Braham that prolasped her vent trying to lay her first egg. We were able to get the egg out and push her vent back in. She has been housed in doors/dark place the last two days and been doing twice a day Epsom salt bath and using blue kote spray after. We also put undies on her to help keep it "in". She still is trying to poo out her vent. It's only day 2 but hoping it's not nerotic or something. Hoping someone can tell me if there anything else I can go to help her? Or more of a waiting game to see if it heals. She is still eating and drinking fine.

Here is attached vent that she is still trying to poo out. It doesn't seem like actual poo as it I'd attached.

Sorry a little graphic vent pics.
She's still able to poop?

I agree, I'd keep the tissue moist with ointment. Anti-inflammatory cream, honey, sugarpack, oil, etc can all be used to keep the tissue moist.

Another very important thing is to get Extra Calcium into her daily for at least a week. Calcium helps with retention and is very helpful when a hen prolapses. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

The white urates will likely stick to the exposed tissue and form a crust, this can make it difficult for retention and it's often really stuck on there. If this happens, work some mineral oil around the crust after you do your daily soaks, this seems to help loosen the material and make it easier to gently remove.

Also, with urates leaking and crusting, you could trim her vent feathers. Preparation H or similar without lidocaine after soaks. Calcium supplement. Feed cracked corn. Keep her in a darkened room. We are trying to prevent egg laying. My hen took almost 3 weeks to be cured. She also had vent gleet at the same time. Double trouble. Hoping your girl recovers.

Back
Top Bottom