Poo Pictures - Blood Or Normal Lining Shed?

O.C.Chick

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Newport Beach, CA
Hi, Here are two poo pictures from my year old hen (two separate poo's about one hour apart)

18642_cimg3922.jpg

18642_cimg3913.jpg

Is this normal lining shedding or something bad? I just treated my flock with corid last week, so I don't think it could be coccidia.

This is a tiny "special needs" silkie that got horrible coccidia when she was young and has never been the same...The vet said that it probably damaged her intestines at that time, and she still can't absorb nutrients normally. I am wondering if this could be a sign of something abnormal going on in the intestines?

ALL OPINIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

smile.png

I just look at the poop pics on the link already mentioned and pray...lol. Seriously. I've seen something similar from one of my girls. I saw it a day, and then didn't see it again, so I kind of assumed it was lining related. If you keep seeing it, then I'd start to worry. I'm sure someone with more experience will post and scare the crap out of me though...

Thank you both. I looked t the "Poo-Link" and it does look more like lining BUT there's so much of it and it was bright red...It looked like it had a little blood-discharge in it, but the red stuff you see in the pic actually has the texture of a decomposing earthworm...Kind of solid but mushy (yes, as if poo isn't gross enough, but you get the picture:) )

I'm just wondering how much lining it is "normal" to shed, and when it might indicate something bad going on internally.

love the poo link
big_smile.png
very helpful actually. I saved it to my favorites. I'm not a poo expert but it seems those people are
wink.png
hope your chicken feels better!

Usschicago: They all just completed the maximum dose 7 day course of Corid on Friday, less than a week ago...I am concerned that re-treating so soon could cause a thiamine deficiency. I do also have a prescription for Albon that I could try...Works as a Sulfa-antibiotic and also anti-coccidial.

The Downside: With that formulation I would have to dose her individually...Kind of a drag because I would have to force-feed her the medicine by syringe twice a day for 10 days which is stressful for both of us!

Of course, I would rather do this than lose her! But I guess what I'm asking is: How likely is it to be coccidia when they all just completed a week of Corid?

Good idea. I just added probiotic powder to her "lunch" yesterday, but yogurt would probably help sooth her digestive system as well as provide probiotics.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom