poo stuck to bums

Chceck for moldy feed and keep them out of the mulch bin (botulism). Plenty of clean water. I don't know about pasty butt but it sounds reasonable to assume. They seem a little young to be being dragged down by worms. Who knows though. Parasites certainly won't help a stress situation.

we just gutted scraped out and cleaned thier coop. they were in the compost pile and I thought that would be bad for them so I am not letting them free range anymore..would that cause the foot thing? she almost seems a bit better sience I gave her the ivermectin and I know it is just me hopfull thinking.. I was going to take her in but the vet said it would be like 100.00 and hubby said no we can get a whole new yard of young hens for that... I am going to give her a shot of tylan tonight. I just worry about the ivermectin and tylan on the same day but I know she is at the crossroads and so I have to do something...

I have a pullet 5-6 months old with the same leg problem. It started out with her taking high steps like she was stepping over a downed log. Now she walks on the top of her foot and is stumbly. I don't have any advice for you other than I tried making a foot splint to keep her foot from curling up, used pipe cleaners and tape, pipe cleaners are not strong enough so it has to be tweaked. But I will be following this thread, and here's a bump. I wonder about vitamin deficiency, but wouldn't know which one. Her situation has been going on for about 5 wks.

so is your chick eating and drinking. rounder is getting very thin and I am concerned. she is just not doing welll. I will give her some vitamens in the am I am worrid she in not going to make it much longer. was your chick vacinated for mericks.

Quote:
My pullet was never vaccinated fir mareks, she was hatched out here on my farm, i have both parents. My girl is eating and drinking normally, that has never changed. I'm trying the rickets diet to see if that improves the walking on the top of her foot. So far I'm on day 1. Rickets as i understand is a deficiency in vitamin D which causes their bones to become soft snd effects their gait. This is the rickets diet:

1/2 - 1 cooked egg yolk
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
3-4 tablespoons rolled oats (oatmeal)
(Got this off another thread here, not sure who the author was to give credit.)

Divide the mixture up into 3-5 feedings per day for 3-5 days. Mix new each day. I am also putting in 3 drops of polyvisol baby vitamins w/o the iron and a 400mg vitamin D3 pill crushed into a couple of the feedings. Also giving her a few leaves of spinach each feeding and she has free choice chick grower feed. If your girl won't eat try to spoon feed it into her beak to get her to swallow. Could even try to blend it and dropper feed. Get as much in her as possible.

Now this may not be the problem with your girl, may not be the problem w/mine either, all I know is she had bright green poos sometimes and I'm not seeing those anymore. I sure hope your pullet gets better soon.
hugs.gif

yea I hope yours does as well. rounder ate some scrambled egg today. I will try to give her that diet int he am. she is very picky. I think I will give her some vitamins and some vitamin d especially. I just don't get why she would get so sick and not be able to walk... odd. came out of no where. the other did as well so I am kinda worried. we lost the first one and I think it was due to the infection I could not cure. my poor hubby has been holding rounder why I give her the shots and all. now I will give her the shots and the vitamins and will give her some treats like the diet you suggest. I was lucky enough to get a daughter out of her but I am not giving up on her, rounder that is I wish my husband would let me keep her in the house, but he wont he refuses and I don't want it to be a battle I kinda pick my battles you know.. I have her out with the other girls she is in a cage and under a heat lamp though. she is trying to walk so I hope she is getting better. has the diet helped your little one...

hello, I am so hoping someone will see this and let me know if they have any info on what is going on. Rounder our big buff Cochin is doing just horrible. I went down to check on her today and took her out and she had all this horrid poo stuck to her bum. it was bright yellow and smelled to high heaven. I tried to clean it but I kept gagging and I have a strong stomic so I mean it was bad. she can not walk on the left foot at all and is very weak. I thought and prayed about it a lot. I finally decided if it were me and I was this sick I would want someone to clean me up and just make me comfortable. so I took a big outside tub filled it with warm soapy dawn dish soap water and cleaned her bum. she got much wetter than I had hoped but I rushed her inside our old home, we dont live in anymore, and had the bathtub all clean and I dried her off best I could and put her on some clean towels with water and some scrambled eggs and bread to eat. she will only peck at the eggs does not eat them but eats the bread a bit. My son dug her up a tiny worm, so sweet he came running accros the frozen gound wiggler in hand and said it is not much but it is all I can find mom, ok tears of pride here. Rounder at it right up. I am going to go get her some worms from the store. she is doing horrid. I think she is about ready to pass on. I don't understand why the poo was so sticky and smelled so bad. we have had her on tylan for 5 days and now I am giving her meads for coxi, I dont see blood but I dont know what elese to do. she has lost all use of the left leg. now she came from a nursery and was supposedly vacianited for merix. does the shot wear off. how do I protect the rest of the flock. I am going to try some corrid on her next. I am just so at a loss as what to do. I hope the bath did not stress her to much, I just could not leave that horrid stuff on her, of all my birds she is one of the prettyest and acts like a lady so it was so sad to see her so messy. it is in Gods hands and I am just going to have to tell her if she needs to go she can and thank her for being such a sweet bird, she is more like a dog. she is only 3 years old.

hey so I just saw a thing on here with a chicken who has leggs that look kinda like rounders leg looks, could it be leg mites along with something else. if I oil her legs good twice a day it could not hurt right. what else kills the dirty buggers? my hubby is stoping and getting her some worms from the store so we can get her to eat... I called his cell and it vibrated and he thought he had been electracuted, he is a electrition kinda, a emt so he was not so happy but he said he will still get the worms... I can use all the good thougths and prayers that she will eat and get better

Can't hurt to treat her for scaly leg mites, Ive read they can do a number on chickens. You can rub Vaseline all over her legs making sure to get it under the scales if they are lifted at all. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom