Pooing Blood

Casper417

Songster
6 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Staffordshire
Hi, i have 7 year old Silkie chicken, 3 weeks ago he had maggots around his vent, i washed and cleaned him off and he has been fine until 2days ago there was poo which was all blood, sometimes he does just a tiny watery poo and sometimes completely normal then a blood one again. He's definately not himself today alot quiter and less active. There is no maggots now and none in the poo.

Surely if the maggots had got inside it would have affected him earlier?

Could it be coccidiosis?

Please can anyone suggest anything.
Thank you.

Hi, i have 7 year old Silkie chicken, 3 weeks ago he had maggots around his vent, i washed and cleaned him off and he has been fine until 2days ago there was poo which was all blood, sometimes he does just a tiny watery poo and sometimes completely normal then a blood one again. He's definately not himself today alot quiter and less active. There is no maggots now and none in the poo.

Surely if the maggots had got inside it would have affected him earlier?

Could it be coccidiosis?

Please can anyone suggest anything.
Thank you.
Can you post some photos of him and the poop?

Is his crop emptying overnight?
Have you dewormed him recently?

If vet care/getting a fecal float is an option that would be good, but pooping blood is not good.
I agree, I would start Corid asap. With his age and with him recovering from Flystrike he may be in a weakened state which is allowing other conditions to overtake him.

I would also consider de-worming and treating for enteritis as well.
Looking at your location, you are in the UK - so...Harker's Coxoid (Amprolium) for Coccidiosis, Flubendazole for worms and a Tetracycline or Amoxicillin would treat enteritis/infection. Not sure what you can get without a script, so a vet may be your best option if possible.

Can you post some photos of him and the poop?

Is his crop emptying overnight?
Have you dewormed him recently?

If vet care/getting a fecal float is an option that would be good, but pooping blood is not good.
I agree, I would start Corid asap. With his age and with him recovering from Flystrike he may be in a weakened state which is allowing other conditions to overtake him.

I would also consider de-worming and treating for enteritis as well.
Looking at your location, you are in the UK - so...Harker's Coxoid (Amprolium) for Coccidiosis, Flubendazole for worms and a Tetracycline or Amoxicillin would treat enteritis/infection. Not sure what you can get without a script, so a vet may be your best option if possible.
Thanks alot, i was looking at the Harkers Coxoid but wasn't sure with it being for pigeons but i will get some right away.
I have got verm-x pallets for worms, started him on them yesterday.

No blood in the pen today his poops are small and mainly watery, i have attached a pic of one. There was a tiny blob of blood in it and a long tube thing that didn't break, so i'm assuming worms.
I have got something called "harkers" arriving tomorrow that will cover coccidiosis and any internal parisites/worms.

I have washed his vent area again, no maggots all fine and normal.

20210815_134744.jpg

Back
Top Bottom