Pool pump DIY Filter

One more thing. I saw on Pinterest that someone used a 5gallon bucket with the fiber stuffing like I use. Hose in one side and holes at the bottom for a larger pool. that may be an easier choice. You can change the stuffing as needed. (could be alot cheaper also)

So I got 20# filter sand and some PVC fittings and some silicone caulk. My above ground pool is 10,000 gallons. Do you think I can move enough water through a sand filter to keep the water clear? Does the container have to be air tight or can I use a tote since the hoses themselves are air tight?
I'd use a sealed container because as the filter clogs it can overflow. If you can't use a sealed container, the output must be above water line, and your input must be smaller than your output, or have a ball valve inline to restrict the flow.

I was digging around and found these links:
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-build-your-own-sand-filter
https://www.instructables.com/id/diy-non-pressurized-sand-filter-for-backyard-pool/

I was thinking of a rectangular tote with an elbow from the existing pump taking water INTO the top of the tote but aimed towards one short sided wall. The water falls down that wall and through the sand. The uptake is one the opposing side and near the top, So the water level is covering the uptake but the sand is beneath the level of that output port. Then a T-shirt or cotton cloth hose-clamped around the pipe inside the tote to keep (mostly) the sand out of the loop and pool.
But. What I'm not sure of is that the ones I see have the output near the bottom so that (I'm guessing) the water it picks up Must pass through the sand first. But that means a lot of sand barrier that the water must pass through.
I'm toying with a two screen dividers. One making a narrow space for the incoming water to go, and another on the opposite side making a (relatively) sand free zone where the outtake pipe is fitted.

If your input is on the bottom you don't have to worry about overflowing.

The only thing I can say is try it, but make it where it would be easy to make adjustments if needed until you find something that works.

Also do you test your water. What are the # there. That may help with solving the problem.

Yes we go to Leslie's. IDK if you have them there. They test and say it's not too bad but we do have to change the cheesy filter quite often. All reviews say that the filter that comes with this is really not a high quality filter.

Yes we go to Leslie's. IDK if you have them there. They test and say it's not too bad but we do have to change the cheesy filter quite often. All reviews say that the filter that comes with this is really not a high quality filter.
I test it my self. I use the Clorox strips and app. It even says what chemicals you need to add.

I test it my self. I use the Clorox strips and app. It even says what chemicals you need to add.
I'll look into that. We just got the pool last summer and it was new so we hadn't any water problems. This year is the 2nd year and we're in a major learning curve.

Back
Top Bottom