Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Our new chicken coop is done and full. We moved the big girls in late this afternoon after we fenced in the new coop to the run. (The chicks have been in since the first of the week.) HB left them a picture in the fresh Sweet PDZ below their new poop boards. I was wondering if anyone have ever tried kitty litter instead of Sweet PDZ. HB said that it kinda looks the same.

So you use the sweet pdz on the boards below their roosts and then pine shavings on the floor? We just built our coop and haven't moved them in yet and I'm trying to decide how what I need to do about the floor. It is simply a piece of plywood right now. I was wondering if I should put a roll of that pvc liner they use under shower basins to make for easier cleaning. Anyone have any experience with this?

I have blackjack roofing rubber painted on the floor, pine shavings on that, and pdz on the poop board, which is 24 inches wide with a roost 8 inches above that.

Last edited:
Our new chicken coop is done and full. We moved the big girls in late this afternoon after we fenced in the new coop to the run. (The chicks have been in since the first of the week.) HB left them a picture in the fresh Sweet PDZ below their new poop boards. I was wondering if anyone have ever tried kitty litter instead of Sweet PDZ. HB said that it kinda looks the same.

Nice.... oriental sand garden :D

Kitty litter can be many different materials...with various chemicals added...even plain clay would not be good for chickens to ingest.
PDZ is the mineral zeolite, which absorbs ammonia and shouldn't be a health hazard if ingested.

So you use the sweet pdz on the boards below their roosts and then pine shavings on the floor? We just built our coop and haven't moved them in yet and I'm trying to decide how what I need to do about the floor. It is simply a piece of plywood right now. I was wondering if I should put a roll of that pvc liner they use under shower basins to make for easier cleaning. Anyone have any experience with this?
I used PDZ under the poop boards ( new to this) and rice hulls on the coop floor. I love using rice hulls. Very easy to clean and sticks to the poop nicely. Plus the girls love to scratch around in it at first. Looking for bits of rice. We did put down some linoleum down on the floor first for easier clean up.
I have to say this morning clean up was so easy with the PDZ. And much less going into the compost. I loved it. And the art work was replaced with their own personal touch.

Last edited:
Nice.... oriental sand garden :D

Kitty litter can be many different materials...with various chemicals added...even plain clay would not be good for chickens to ingest.
PDZ is the mineral zeolite, which absorbs ammonia and shouldn't be a health hazard if ingested.
Thanks -- I told my HB that I figured kitty litter might have added chemicals to it but he suggested to check with you guys. We have decided to stick with the PDZ. It was so easy to clean up this morning -- amazing. I was short 2 bags and my supplier was out. Major invested at first because of how big my poop boards are. But can see that once we are set up we'll be good to go. Just have to add to it once in awhile.

One side of our new coop, the other side looks the same. (In this picture we have part of the coop wired off because the chicks were so young). The poop board painted with Blackjack is now covered with PDZ and the vinyl floor is covered with wood shavings. Just this past week we uncovered the bottom nests and put shavings down. Our 1 year old hens are starting to lay eggs in the new coop but still go back to the old coop to lay eggs, too. Our new RIR chicks are 12 weeks old. They go in and out of the new coop and the old coop. Wish PDZ didn't cost so much but it works great.

We changed the ramp in the back. Now it's a solid board going from one side to the floor and the same on the other side so it's not so steep.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom