Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
i have nesting boxes just about your size there. I made my poop tray above my nesting boxes and it hung over the top of the row of nests' and I just added some support legs to hold up the hangover part. I did not want to rebuild the nests' I like the poop board over the nesting row...makes things nice and tidy!!

After finding this thread 2 months ago, when we first got our chicks; we have finished our coop. Here is the interior picture of it. Of course the first night, the girls all slept huddled on the floor...but we will work on that.
wink.png

Do you, or does anyone know, if the granular kind works better with regard to getting kicked around less? 

I have only been able to purchase the granular type which is fine, like nice sand on a beach. Since our shed is still in the process of being converted to a coop, we have temporary setups for three different age groups of chicks using PDZ. The newest and youngest are now in the living room brooder with straight granular PDZ. They are the only ones that kick PDZ into the water. The other two age groups are out in the shed with hanging waterers and feeders. The oldest chicks have had straight PDZ (in litter boxes) under their roost for almost three weeks...with no odor. The PDZ hasn't even been scooped for two weeks. The middle chicks are in the shed on a layer of pine shavings which are sprinkled with a nice coating of PDZ. I can't believe that the shed does not smell bad.

I think thespoiledchicken should be awarded a gold medal for sharing the idea of using PDZ on poop boards

Sorry guys- have not had a chance to get on here lately.

Reading all these pages I decided to try the sweet pdz but couldn't find it locally so I found zeolite through Azure Standard. It's granular and it's grey, all the pics here it looked white or off white?
Any thoughts on this- is it the same stuff??
Zeolite is the same stuff, color might be slightly different with different manufacturers. Go for it!

Okay, so I can't seem to find the answer to this and if some folks could quote me with answers it'd be much appreciated.

My question is how much PDZ do you folks go through? I am thinking of keeping 5 Muscovy ducks and using leftover rabbit hay from large bales (since I can't use it all on the rabbits) as bedding as it composts well and heard it can even make an occasional snack for muscovy ducks.... I'd love to use this to keep the smell down (used to have cats and love litter) but I wanna know how much it's going to add to my monthly budget.

So how many chickens do you have... And how many lbs of PDZ do you go through a month? :O So I can guesstimate how much it'll set me back for using this with my ducks...!

I have about 40 chickens in that coop- I guess about 30 of them roost. I have close to 10' of poop board on each side (24" deep) and each side takes a 40lb bag (16.99 each). I will scoop for quite a few weeks without adding any- I'm thinking maybe every 5-6 weeks I will add a 1/2 bag to each side. Definitely less than 1 bag a month- and I overdo everything so a person with less OCD than me could use alot less
tongue2.gif

Well, I went back through here, 'cause I thought I had seen something about these questions, but can't seem to find what I was looking for...three questions (sorry if they've been answered before):

(1) About to use my new brooder - babies arriving this week. Use PDZ in the brooder? I'm pretty sure I saw several people say they do, but dang it, old(er) age sometimes takes over with my brain...
barnie.gif

(2) With the above question, and the fact that I've switched from hay for the house to pine shavings...mix some PDZ in with the shavings throughout the henhouse? This one seems to stick in my mind that shouldn't mix the shavings with PDZ...Or just in the bottom of the poop tray I'm about to add to things?

(3) See what I mean about the brain? I had three questions when I started typing, but can't remember the 3rd one!
hu.gif
By the way, I said old(er), not old! Hopefully, this one wasn't important!

Everyone have a great day, and God bless!

I have not tried it yet but so far alot of comments have been positive about using it in the brooders.

DEFINITELY mix the PDZ in with shavings- you will be amazed at how nice your coop can smell
love.gif

After finding this thread 2 months ago, when we first got our chicks; we have finished our coop. Here is the interior picture of it. Of course the first night, the girls all slept huddled on the floor...but we will work on that.
wink.png

GREAT JOB! I love it
love.gif
the girls will be so happy in there! Thanks for the pic.
I have only been able to purchase the granular type which is fine, like nice sand on a beach. Since our shed is still in the process of being converted to a coop, we have temporary setups for three different age groups of chicks using PDZ. The newest and youngest are now in the living room brooder with straight granular PDZ. They are the only ones that kick PDZ into the water. The other two age groups are out in the shed with hanging waterers and feeders. The oldest chicks have had straight PDZ (in litter boxes) under their roost for almost three weeks...with no odor. The PDZ hasn't even been scooped for two weeks. The middle chicks are in the shed on a layer of pine shavings which are sprinkled with a nice coating of PDZ. I can't believe that the shed does not smell bad.
I think thespoiledchicken should be awarded a gold medal for sharing the idea of using PDZ on poop boards

yesss.gif
on the NO smell! My coop does not smell like a coop- it's crazy!

I will be trying it in the brooders soon- I'm currently on a hatching sabbatical
tongue2.gif
So glad to see it working for you!

THANKS for the gold metal post- you are very sweet!!!!

images

front_medal_intro.jpg

The Nobel Medals and the Medal for the Prize in Saving chicken keepers from overwhelming odors and too much work; awarded to thespoiledchicken.

LOL!!!! THANK YOU!!!
images

Back
Top Bottom